The cost of vet care

I'll probably get nasty replies about this, but my dog has never been to the vet. She will go when she gets fixed in a few months, and hopefully that will be the only time she'll ever have to go. The breeder we got her from gives her all her shots, and if he stops giving them to her I'll go to the farm store, buy them (for less than $10) and give them to her myself.

I had a couple calves castrated and the vet came out to my place to do it. She only charged me $50 per calf, or was it $35 - I don't remember. Regardless, it was less than you got charged for your dog.

I also don't take any of my animals to the vet unless they are getting neutered or they are sick. I don't know how people can afford regular checkups. My vet charges $60 just to walk in with an animal. I pets do fine and they get their essential shots from petco or not at all. I could also ordern vaccine and do it myself but I am not sure how to prove to groomers and places like that, that I did it myself. I also don't like going to the vet because they try to up sell you on everything. Trying to get you to buy flea products and wormers and more shots. Although anytime I go to the dentist it seems to be the same way, always trying to drill or remove teeth when I am in no discomfort to begin with!

So I just got back from the vet. Jinjo is just barely 6 weeks old and is Aussie or Border Collie mix (I love both breeds). I paid $41 for 1st shot, deworming, and an oral medication for a mild case of mange (a little spot on his tail and a tad bit on his belly). He isn't scratching it. Not to bad but I have to take him back in 2 weeks for more Ivermectin, then back a week later for round 2 of pup shots. I'm thinking of getting the Ivermectin and other vaccinations at the local vet supply. The visits aren't too expensive but it's that you have to go for so many of them that it adds up. Then top it off with a neutering bill. If this pup weren't so dang cute I think I'd loose my mind.

Oh and now I have the psychological itches just knowing that he's got a little mange.

Last edited:
These poor veterinarians! They really get a bad rap I think. There are very few professions (if any) that require as much education for so little pay. I know they seem expensive though. When one of my hubby's birds was sick, the bill was $1,500 for only a couple days in the hospital. Avian vets though have to go to school about 8 years past undergrad, so like 12 years of college! No wonder they are so expensive.

Check with your local humane society about the neuter/spay -- many offer appointments for non-shelter animals and charge a bit less than a traditional vet clinic. Plus, you can feel good that what you do pay is going to support the shelter and re-home less fortunate animals.

As for shots, order and administer them yourself for a fraction of the cost. Jeffers Supply is a great source and their shipping is quick, efficient and the vaccinations arrive chilled just as they should. If you don't know how seek out a large animal vet and ask them to teach you, as a general rule of thumb I've found large animal vets both less expensive and more proactive in encouraging owner treatment in routine matters.

I do understand that vet's have to pay their bills and overhead just like the rest of us, I don't have a problem with that. But the last couple of years my vets office has gone from what I consider practical care to extreme high end care. That's where Fido must have every available shot every year plus lab work every year, preventive teeth cleaning, the best most expensive flea prevention, etc, etc. and they really lay it on with the pressure to do all this stuff and make you feel like less then a good owner if you don't. And if I want to do my vaccinating myself then I can't take them for boarding or grooming because I don't have a vet certificate!

Recently I had an old dog of mine get run over in my own driveway. I saw the tire go over her. I took her to the vet immediately, she had internal bleeding and other injuries and I asked that she be put down. (She also had other age related issues) He insisted that he should do x-rays and lab work and that she would likely be fine. Against my better judgement I finally said ok. Well the next morning he called to say she had passed in the night. No surprise to me. My bill was just under $800.00. I have since changed to a large animal group whose vets have a much more practical and realistic approach to pet care.

Sorry for the long rant, this last experience was not a good one.

Back
Top Bottom