The crows get a shout out today!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by vclark321, Aug 4, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I have what seems like 100 crows living in the trees around my house and when the babies are in the trees waiting to be fed the noise is enough to drive me crazy! Yesterday, however, they did a great job alerting me and the girls to potential danger. I heard the crows going nuts, sqawking, screaming and carrying on. I could hear other crows coming fom different directions to join the angry mob. I went to investigate and looked up to see 2 hawks flying overhead. The girls were huddled under my ladder and I put them back into their run until danger had passed. I live on a lake, so most of the predators usually head there for fish. So, for the crows a handful of peanuts and a thank you.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I like the crows too. Hawks used to nest in our back yard before we got the chickens. Now that the crows have moved in the only time I even hear a hawk is when its screaming its butt off while its trying to get away from the crows.

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I like crows and ravens too. Here in Colorado we have ravens, but we also go to Arkansas where we have a little, & I mean little cottage in the woods, and there are crows there. There they call them a murder of crows. Does anybody know where that term comes from. They are considered a pest I think, because we have seen them killed and hung on a fence, the way people hung coyotes in Oklahoma in the old days. Guess I am dating myself. But I love all birds, well, maybe not Euro starlings.......

4. Bev in Nevada

Bev in Nevada Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
  5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I like the crows too as long as they are not living near me.Funny to see them and the blue jays dive bombing the hawks here daily.Even small birds will fly around the hawk like an annoying little skeeter!

6. Renthorin

Renthorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    The crows come to my 15-gallon bird bath (tub?) and play in it daily. They also like to peck at the meat scraps I through out front, and the bones.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Funny that the article listed Blue Jays as in the family. To me they are one of the meanest birds next to the Mocking Bird. But now that I'm getting chickens, they all look pretty to me, considering I have nesting hawks here too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by