The crows get a shout out today!

vclark321

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Bonney Lake
I have what seems like 100 crows living in the trees around my house and when the babies are in the trees waiting to be fed the noise is enough to drive me crazy! Yesterday, however, they did a great job alerting me and the girls to potential danger. I heard the crows going nuts, sqawking, screaming and carrying on. I could hear other crows coming fom different directions to join the angry mob. I went to investigate and looked up to see 2 hawks flying overhead. The girls were huddled under my ladder and I put them back into their run until danger had passed. I live on a lake, so most of the predators usually head there for fish. So, for the crows a handful of peanuts and a thank you.

I like the crows too. Hawks used to nest in our back yard before we got the chickens. Now that the crows have moved in the only time I even hear a hawk is when its screaming its butt off while its trying to get away from the crows.

I like crows and ravens too. Here in Colorado we have ravens, but we also go to Arkansas where we have a little, & I mean little cottage in the woods, and there are crows there. There they call them a murder of crows. Does anybody know where that term comes from. They are considered a pest I think, because we have seen them killed and hung on a fence, the way people hung coyotes in Oklahoma in the old days. Guess I am dating myself. But I love all birds, well, maybe not Euro starlings.......

I like the crows too as long as they are not living near me.Funny to see them and the blue jays dive bombing the hawks here daily.Even small birds will fly around the hawk like an annoying little skeeter!

Funny that the article listed Blue Jays as in the family. To me they are one of the meanest birds next to the Mocking Bird. But now that I'm getting chickens, they all look pretty to me, considering I have nesting hawks here too.

Back
Top Bottom