The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

animaladdictions

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
East Tennessee
So it seems there's some confusion about smooth breasted Sebs.....well, for me at least. :) I was always under the impression that "smooth breasted" was a literal term and meant a curly feathered bird with straight feathers on the breast. Several people I've talked to however, describe what looks to me to be a "normal" feathered goose (usually having a few longer feathers in spots) as being "smooth breasted". So I'm calling on all you pros out there to set me straight on this....what is "smooth breasted"? Thanks!!!

How do you achieve show quality birds if you breed with "regular" feathered Sebs? I guess what I'm trying to say is, won't you end up with some offspring having long curls and some having none at all? I agree the most important thing to breed for is good health, I just wouldn't want my future customers to be unhappy if they buy a gosling and it grows up to look like a normal feathered goose. I guess I'd just advertise as having smooth birds in my breeding program? My goal is to have birds that look like Cottage Rose's breeders. She has such beautiful Sebs!

Cottage Rose uses smooth breeders :)

As a person that breeds show winning sebbies..... (RESERVE CHAMPION WATERFOWL TRIO AT INDY AND MANY OTHER WINS UNDER MY BELT)

As far as using smooth breasted birds in a breeding program, that is up to the breeder. Of course, they are not APA accepted but that was not the question. I have seen many curly sebastopols lately that have poor breast feathering that would appear to be smooth breasted, but they are just bad examples of the breed.

Oregon Blues:

Yes, they are different. Angel wing is when the last joint on the wing gets turned outward and is fused that way as the wing grows. The bird will look like a "747".

Twisted wing tip is just that, the tips or phalanges, as I call them, twist a bit because of the large twisted feathers protruding from them and generally they will also stay like that for the rest of the goose's life.

Although many researchers and books say not to feed high protein, I do something different; I feed less carbs. I try to feed less corn in the diet and have lots of grass and exercise for growing goslings.

If you think about wild waterfowl, the goslings do not have access to corn or wheat, etc as they mature. They eat grass, bugs and whatever is swimming in the water. All these items are high protein. If you look in most man made feeds the first ingredient listed is corn. So I try to limit the feed and have it is yielding some better results for me.

The sebastopol is prone to TWT because of the frizzle gene causing the feathers to twist as they grow.

So glad to see three of who I would call highly knowledgable and successful goose breeders chime in. I am honored to own geese from both CottageRose and Pips&Peeps to go along with our Holderreads geese, and YES even our 3 smoothes. Very grateful to Pete and his hatching knowledge. I hope to pass along the knowledge they have shared, and produce birds as nice as theirs.

Off Topic
You're too kind with your praise and you are appreciated.
hugs.gif

I would like to add, I get a little embarrassed with what I feel is undue adulation.
I don't consider myself some noted breeder, rather I simply strive for betterment
of the breed through selective breeding which isn't always successful.
My new disclaimer is I'm merely a great promoter of the breed
and take pretty pictures.
wink.png
At any rate I appreciated your generous comments and I agree
Jean and Pete rock! We are all greatly blessed to have folks like these who generously
share their time and knowledge with lack of ego, honesty and kindness.
And may I commend you for your efforts to produce quality Sebastopols. Good job!
big_smile.png

How do you achieve show quality birds if you breed with "regular" feathered Sebs? I guess what I'm trying to say is, won't you end up with some offspring having long curls and some having none at all? I agree the most important thing to breed for is good health, I just wouldn't want my future customers to be unhappy if they buy a gosling and it grows up to look like a normal feathered goose. I guess I'd just advertise as having smooth birds in my breeding program? My goal is to have birds that look like Cottage Rose's breeders. She has such beautiful Sebs!

Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

thumbsup.gif

Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

Back
Top Bottom