The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

animaladdictions

Songster
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
East Tennessee
So it seems there's some confusion about smooth breasted Sebs.....well, for me at least. :) I was always under the impression that "smooth breasted" was a literal term and meant a curly feathered bird with straight feathers on the breast. Several people I've talked to however, describe what looks to me to be a "normal" feathered goose (usually having a few longer feathers in spots) as being "smooth breasted". So I'm calling on all you pros out there to set me straight on this....what is "smooth breasted"? Thanks!!!

How do you achieve show quality birds if you breed with "regular" feathered Sebs? I guess what I'm trying to say is, won't you end up with some offspring having long curls and some having none at all? I agree the most important thing to breed for is good health, I just wouldn't want my future customers to be unhappy if they buy a gosling and it grows up to look like a normal feathered goose. I guess I'd just advertise as having smooth birds in my breeding program? My goal is to have birds that look like Cottage Rose's breeders. She has such beautiful Sebs!

How do you achieve show quality birds if you breed with "regular" feathered Sebs? I guess what I'm trying to say is, won't you end up with some offspring having long curls and some having none at all? I agree the most important thing to breed for is good health, I just wouldn't want my future customers to be unhappy if they buy a gosling and it grows up to look like a normal feathered goose. I guess I'd just advertise as having smooth birds in my breeding program? My goal is to have birds that look like Cottage Rose's breeders. She has such beautiful Sebs!

Cottage Rose uses smooth breeders :)

Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

thumbsup.gif

Hi

The main difference is the the Smooth Breasted has one Curled Feather gene whereas Curled Sebastopols have a pair. Breeding a Smooth Breated to a Curled will give you 50% Smooth Breasted and 50% Curled offspring.

In the UK the Smooth Breasted is more popular and more easily found. Also they are recognised for showing in the UK. Our best Seb is a female Smooth Breasted. She is on the left of the picture with flowing feathers from the scapulars over the wings and looks very elegant.

Curly x Curly should give 100% Curly. In most cases Curly breasted have a pair of Curled genes though I have seen a bird that was genetically a Smooth breasted but did have a little curling on the breast.

I crossed Sebastopols X Pomeranian(saddleback) and got one offspring that is curly breasted, the other five are smooth breasted. I didn't think that was possible and sure is a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom