The difference in curly and smooth breasted Sebastopols

As a person who shows Winning Sebbies, I would NEVER breed a smooth into our birds. Smooth feathers on the breast is a DQ, and if you are breeding to the APA standard, it would be unwise to breed to that.
As far as wing disorders, when we first started in Geese. I talked to the breeder of the previous Crossroads Super Grand Champion ( The Brown African - Brusier) and was advised to NOT over feed the gosslings protein. That is the Major cause of Angel Wing/Twisted Wing. And I have found this to be true in all waterfowl. JMO

TwT in Sebastopols is not the same as angel wing. Sure would love to see your birds you show and win with, and know where you show though. Always enjoy seeing others curlies as they are who derail birds.

Sorry, no smooth breasted Sebbies here, if we had them, they would have been DQ'd by APA judges before.The bird you assumed had a smooth breast, was our Champion Gander, who was coming out of a molt. And if you look closly at the photo, you would see that those feathers are NOT smooth. Not sure what you mean by derail? We show the geese in the MD,PA,DE & NJ shows. Though we show all over the eastern US. Now that we have a large Cargo trailer they will be going to more. Our geese have won Champ Goose at Delmarva, MD, Sussex,etc. Where do you show yours?

We are a military family, other priorities than showing our geese. Them again never said I showed so.
smile.png
Left hand side of your web site has a smooth chested (or maybe it just lacks deep and high curls up the check to the lower neck) facing left in the photo. On an iPad so can't screen shot to show what I am referring to.

No worries though, not everyone shows, not everyone wants smooth breasted Sebastopols. However they are the Norm and accepted in the UK and the USA could learn a thing or two on this breed from them. Maybe take a less my birds are better because I show approach to a question like this as it is a valuable topic to the bettering of the breed. Or agree to disagree and not judge what others have or are doing.

Feel free to join the Sebastopol forum, lots of great conversation about TwT, angel wing and color genetics. Great group of people who love the breed and are working together to improve the breed as a whole.

I'll stick with genetics and working towards perfecting color and curl without TwT using smooth and curly geese both.

Did not take the My birds are better approach. Just that if you are breeding to the APA Standard Of Perfection, breeding to Breed type is what the "breeders" are working toward. The "colored" birds are created from mixes and there for DO need work, because they do not meet the Breed standard. The ONLY standard color approved is white. The problem with those people who breed mixes is that they sell their birds as Purebreds, and those of us who do breed to the current APA standard are them approached by the buyers later, when they discover that they were overcharged and misinformed. This happen to me just 2 weeks ago, when I lent a few birds to be on displayed at the MD poultry Expo. I had a lady come up to ask questions about the Sebbies, she had perchased Sebbies from another BYC person. Those birds did not fully develope looking like the birds she thought she was perchasing, then she said that here Saddlebacked Sebbie never fully developed curly feathering. The BYC'r she purchased was touted on BYC as a Very good breeder, who bred & showed her birds. I informed her, that in the last 6 years I had seen this BYC'r at only one show, showing her Geese. They were DQ'd, and she never showed them again.
I mentioned showing, in that if you are breeding to improve your stock, how do you know how well your birds are, until you test them against others. I have seen people who think they have very good birds, but because they don't know the correct standard for their breed, tend to breed their stock in the wrong direction. That is the point I was making.
As far as your priorities, what does your famies "job" have to do with breeding & showing birds. I know people who are military famiiles that do show birds. So sorry yours don't have the time to do the same. And I do nbot have a smooth breasted Sebbie here, never will, so glad you have them and that they have found a home with someone who wants that type of bird. Thank you for your comments, have a good day.

Last edited:
Twisted Wing Tip (TWT) tends to show up after the yealing molt and is not related to diet.
Brody's Broodello, are you saying that none of your adults at any time have never developed TWT?
If so you have a rare strain of Sebastopols as it does seem to be due to their curly feather mutation.
Using unshowable individials in a breeding program due to non-standard color is common place in dogs,
horses etc.and a means to an end.
As an example Mantel (AKA Boston) Great Danes are a non showable colorbut used in Harlequin breeding.
In Sebastopols if using smooth breasted would eliminate TWT I see no harm in that practice.
You simply don't show those individuals. In the UK smooth breasted Sebastopols are and accepted variety
as is the buff colored variety as well.

I don't know anybody that sells colored Sebs as "purebred" but there's lots of silly
statements made when it comes to selling and most geese of any breed don't come with a pedigree anyway.
Novices need to do their homework if they don't know anything about a breed
before they proceed with a purchase. As always, in any given sale Caveat Emptor (let the buyer beware).

Back
Top Bottom