The Duck Thread

Hello, Everyone! Have you hugged a duck today? Pekins have the most beautiful dark blue eyes! I have always loved the golden eyes on American toads (Bufo americanus) but Pekins are very striking, too. And Copperhead snakes; just don't get too close. :)

Hello, Everyone! Have you hugged a duck today? Pekins have the most beautiful dark blue eyes! I have always loved the golden eyes on American toads (Bufo americanus) but Pekins are very striking, too. And Copperhead snakes; just don't get too close.
smile.png

I just wish I could pick mine up. I've had them 3 months and they are about a year old. The previously owner must not have had any contact with them. They're so scared of me. Breaks my heart!

I just wish I could pick mine up. I've had them 3 months and they are about a year old. The previously owner must not have had any contact with them. They're so scared of me. Breaks my heart!

Mine are like rust too :( they are 22 weeks. But getting better each day. Maybe ill eventually be able to hold my babies again in a year? I hope!

So I have Peking eggs that should hatch on Friday. When I locked them down last night two had pipped, I candled the other four and they were all moving! Any suggestions? This is my first time ever incubating duck eggs I need advice. I did lower the temperature slightly but other than that what do I do? I heard it takes longer for a duck to pip zip and hatch than a chicken? Is this true? Thanks for anyone's help!

I highly recommend Runner Ducks. They have great personalities - the clowns of the yard. They're not very noisy and do not fly. They seem to learn far too well. If they don't get their evening snack on time, they are all at the door, staring through the glass. They come running when I enter the yard and scatter when my noisy, tractor racing, grass mowing husband enters. They are average layers. I have nine girls and one mutt duck drake. They are 10 months old and give me 8-9 eggs a day. 6-7 hens per drake is recommended but since I'm not into hatching ducklings (yet), the drake just keeps the girls calm and the hierarchy intact. They also come in many colours and combinations. I have blues which are uncommon and not really blue. They are different shades of grey - steel blue with variations called splash and black. Some have white speckling. Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks is a great resource and describes the different breed's characteristics. Good luck!

eggcartons.com has duck egg cartons, but they are pricey. They can also run out of stock so order earlier than needed. My runner's eggs mostly fit into super jumbo egg cartons which are cheaper than duck egg cartons but slightly more expensive than reg cartons. Occasionally I get monster eggs which rival a small goose egg. I put those in my fridge for my family - they'd never fit in the cartons.

eggcartons.com has duck egg cartons, but they are pricey. They can also run out of stock so order earlier than needed. My runner's eggs mostly fit into super jumbo egg cartons which are cheaper than duck egg cartons but slightly more expensive than reg cartons. Occasionally I get monster eggs which rival a small goose egg. I put those in my fridge for my family - they'd never fit in the cartons.

Where do you get the jumbo egg cartons?

Back
Top Bottom