The Duck Thread

I would suggest that you go out and get Mr. Peeps a friend to play with...I can assure you that he will be much happier, and you will get even more joy out of watching them. Good luck! I have 4 Muscovies...I love it when they come to the back door, once they know I am home from work, and wait for me to greet them and give them a treat. When I am standing at their food bin, they nibble at my legs or pull my clothing as it to tell me,"hurry up! I'm hungry!" LOL...I love my muscovy ducks!

Are muscovy ducks more friendly than others? I have Black Cayugas and Black Swedish and I can't get near them without them freaking out. I got them when they were about 8 months old, I've had them for 3 months. I'd love to get them to eat out of my hand but they run from me. They won't even eat bread or treats I throw over the fence at them. Strictly layer feed and bugs. I know a woman who had muscovy ducks and we were talking once and that darn drake made such a ruckus until she picked him up. So funny. Just wondering if that breed is more friendly than others. I'd like to be able to interact with my ducks.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I was hoping someone could help me figure out why my duck is having problems breathing. I'm really worried about my little baby (not sure of the gender yet) :( he keeps breathing through his mouth although he ALWAYS has fresh water available. What should I do?

Also another question I have is why don't my ducks like me? It seems like they are more tolerant of me than anyone else, but they run from me like crazy! I've had them since they were about 2 days old and one is a pekin and the other is some kind of cross I think but he's smaller and is black with a white chest and a white spot on his belly.

Also another question I have is why don't my ducks like me? It seems like they are more tolerant of me than anyone else, but they run from me like crazy! I've had them since they were about 2 days old and one is a pekin and the other is some kind of cross I think but he's smaller and is black with a white chest and a white spot on his belly.

Ducks go through a lot of stages during growth and one is the idea everyone is going to eat them, so don't take it personal, just keep spending quiet time with them talking softly to them offering tasty treats, they probably won't ever climb into your lap but they will associate you with good things. One way I win over my ducklings and I don't get a chance to do this until usually 4 weeks old because they are with mama, but every eve,. we go looking for worms. they will climb onto my feet when I start turning over rocks and wood. Just one suggestion on how to win over ducks.
big_smile.png

Hi everyone! I was hoping someone could help me figure out why my duck is having problems breathing. I'm really worried about my little baby (not sure of the gender yet)
sad.png
he keeps breathing through his mouth although he ALWAYS has fresh water available. What should I do?
How old and are they still under a heat lamp?

I would love to take my ducklings out hunting for bugs and worms, but I'm concerned about being able to get them back into their fenced area afterward.

I've had so much trouble trying to herd them into their coop at night that the idea of them running all over my half acre is just Too Much. I tried the idea of holding a long bamboo stick to steer them where I want them to go, but it only works in a broad sense--- when it gets down to coaxing them up the ramp to go into their house, they will turn and run under the stick rather than go up that ramp.
I tried laying green pea treats up the ramp, but only the first 4 out of 10 ducklings got the peas, and of course they exited the coop and ran back down the ramp while I was trying to get the rest of them to go up.

So far, the only way I've been able to get them into their coop in the evening is to trap them in the corner with a board, then hand carry each one to the coop and close the door while I'm getting the next one; and it doesn't seem like that would be conducive to them wanting to spend time in there! They're 4 weeks old, and they've been staying in the coop at night (as opposed to the utility room) for 4 nights now.

This morning my duck hatched 5 ducklings! They've been in the nest for the past couple hours and haven't gone anywhere. Is the mother supposed to show them around and find food for them?The mother duck didn't get raised by her mother so does she not know how to care for them? Or is it all instinct? I was expecting the eggs to hatch in a week so i hadn't gotten any food for the ducklings yet. I suppose i'll use oatmeal. The nest is in the coop with all my ducks and chickens and I want to move them to the broody pen but I can't figure out how to move them because when ever I get close the mother thrusts her beak at me.
Any advice?

They are about six weeks old now they still come in at night because I don't have a very secure pen just yet and Squibbles (my Pekin) washes her face just fine and never has any problems, but it seems like Tibbles (my black one) can't breathe through his nostrils :( he even does this during bathtime.

As for the not liking me situation, they used to eat out my hands and still do sometimes but normally they shy away from me, could it be that I'm picking them up too often?

Them avoiding me as babies:

Them avoiding me about 2 weeks ago:

This morning my duck hatched 5 ducklings! They've been in the nest for the past couple hours and haven't gone anywhere. Is the mother supposed to show them around and find food for them?The mother duck didn't get raised by her mother so does she not know how to care for them? Or is it all instinct? I was expecting the eggs to hatch in a week so i hadn't gotten any food for the ducklings yet. I suppose i'll use oatmeal. The nest is in the coop with all my ducks and chickens and I want to move them to the broody pen but I can't figure out how to move them because when ever I get close the mother thrusts her beak at me.
Any advice?
If they hatched this morning they won't eat for a couple of days, so you have time to get baby food. nothing else unless you offer grit. And CONGRATS!! look forward to pics. Okay you are bigger than mama, go in when it's beginning to get dark if you have to wear long sleeves do so,. very calmly gather ducklings first then mama put them into something you can close up so you don't have to worry about mama jumping out or baby falling out. Carry them where you want them to stay. dog crate or box with flaps or towel over top.
she'll be upset but will calm down once you get them into new place and she see all the babies are okay. or pick mama up place her into crate first then gather ducklings into separate crate or box carry all to new digs you may need some help with second one so you can reunite as quickly as possible.

They are about six weeks old now they still come in at night because I don't have a very secure pen just yet and Squibbles (my Pekin) washes her face just fine and never has any problems, but it seems like Tibbles (my black one) can't breathe through his nostrils
sad.png
he even does this during bathtime.

As for the not liking me situation, they used to eat out my hands and still do sometimes but normally they shy away from me, could it be that I'm picking them up too often?

Them avoiding me as babies:

Them avoiding me about 2 weeks ago:
Normal behavior honest.. and yes try not to pick them up just sit with them. they are prey remember.

And have you checked out the nares to make sure no blockage? can you see all the way through? any other symptoms and how long has this been going on? do you have some ACV? Apple Cider Vinegar? unpasteurized is best but reg will work till you can get some, put 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water and offer. It is so good for helping with immune system.

I would love to take my ducklings out hunting for bugs and worms, but I'm concerned about being able to get them back into their fenced area afterward.

I've had so much trouble trying to herd them into their coop at night that the idea of them running all over my half acre is just Too Much. I tried the idea of holding a long bamboo stick to steer them where I want them to go, but it only works in a broad sense--- when it gets down to coaxing them up the ramp to go into their house, they will turn and run under the stick rather than go up that ramp.
I tried laying green pea treats up the ramp, but only the first 4 out of 10 ducklings got the peas, and of course they exited the coop and ran back down the ramp while I was trying to get the rest of them to go up.

So far, the only way I've been able to get them into their coop in the evening is to trap them in the corner with a board, then hand carry each one to the coop and close the door while I'm getting the next one; and it doesn't seem like that would be conducive to them wanting to spend time in there! They're 4 weeks old, and they've been staying in the coop at night (as opposed to the utility room) for 4 nights now.
You go and find worms and then go into their space offer them to them and you'll soon have them lined up at the fence waiting for you to bring the worms. or get dried meal worms and use them. 4 nights isn't long enough to get use to their new house, ducks don't take well to change so give them time. once you get them interested in the meal worms then start putting them along their ramp once one goes the others will follow, place some inside so when they get in they find them. It takes time but once they get the routine down they'll go in on their own,

Back
Top Bottom