The Duck Thread

Could be! They do lay a whole clutch before going broody so she might be building one up for herself. The hanging back from the others and being defensive of the nest site could also be indications that she's thinking about it.

oh good! She has about 9 eggs in there now. She is stealing everyones eggs. I have 2 other laying Duck hens so there are 3 eggs added a day. I figured she would start sittign at about 16 eggs.

Fuzzy is now about 4 1/2 months old. Is he still looking like a male? I thought he would have more red by now or is that still to come? He is our first Muscovy duck.

Fuzzy looks like a female. How large is Fuzzy? Female are smaller than males—mine are about 3/4 the size of a male or less and weigh maybe 6 lbs and the male weighs about 10 lbs.

Fuzzy looks like a female.  How large is Fuzzy?  Female are smaller than males—mine are about 3/4 the size of a male or less and weigh maybe 6 lbs and the male weighs about 10 lbs.
We only have the 1, so I don't have a comparison. Not sure on his weight? I would maybe guess somewhere closer to the 6 lbs. The pics I shared on here earlier of him, people thought male, but we'll see I guess. I did get 4 babies so hopefully whatever Fuzzy is, hopefully I have an opposite for him/her to have a mate!

Does Fuzzy coo (or trill) or does Fuzzy hiss. Females make a cooing sound that's quiet but quite distinct. Males mostly hiss. I have not heard my male make any sound other than hissing, though when all six get to "talking" to each other, it's kind of hard to tell. The females seem to be more inclined to make sounds, often greeting me when I let them out for the day.

Does Fuzzy coo (or trill) or does Fuzzy hiss.  Females make a cooing sound that's quiet but quite distinct.  Males mostly hiss.  I have not heard my male make any sound other than hissing, though when all six get to "talking" to each other, it's kind of hard to tell.  The females seem to be more inclined to make sounds, often greeting me when I let them out for the day.

He's actually really quiet. I haven't heard him make any sounds yet to be honest with you, maybe because he's not around other ducks to chat with?

What has everyone's duckies been up to today?
Mine had some lettuce for dinner and for the first time, Hattie and Percy ventured into the garden with Roy and Sybil.
They are settling more and more each day.

Here are some pics taken today! (Excuse the state of my hair)

Back
Top Bottom