The DUMBEST thing I've ever heard somebody say about Chickens...READ!

When I lived at my last apartment, the landlord let me put in a small garden on the side of the building. This wasn't exactly a great part of town, and you would not believe some of the crazy questions I'd get hammered with. "Oh my god, carrots grow in the ground?!" >_< One of the neighbor kids asked me questions nonstop and I'd tell her about the plants. It was kinda sad because she was smart enough to remember all the plants I told her about the next time she'd visit, so she wasn't dumb, but I'm pretty sure she's going nowhere in life with the family she has...Her mom came to get her one day and the daughter pointed out the bush bean plant. Her mom goes "bush beans?" I say "Yeah, they're called string beans too." "Oh! I didn't know string beans looked like that! I thought they were short and came in a can!" Aiiiiiiie.

Until I started researching chickens I never knew there where Naked necked or some with extra feathers on their legs or some where the combs are obscured by feathers. I knew what most standard breeds where and Bantams where in essence miniature versions of most standard breeds (I knew miniature versions of many animals where available so even if I didn't know what a bantam was it wouldn't surprise me also I read there are some extra large breeds that didn't surprise me either, since there are draft horses meant they where breed for hard work only not as a riding horse) I also knew a capon was I can understand a person's ignorance on the terms for one animal where the terms change for in essence the same concept in a different animal IE capon,steer,gelding miniature vs bantam but much of these posts are about real stupid things.

Awhile back someone inquired about buying some eggs from me. When I told her how much and the other details, she proceeded to try and have a conversation with me. The first thing she asked was 'how do you reconcile eating another life? I mean the egg is essentially a chick, right?' Then she proceeded to tell me the eggs were for her father as she doesn't eat any type of animal. Oh good grief. I was honestly at a loss for words.

And this isn't chicken related but.....I was at a living history weekend for civil war re-enactors waiting for a 'battle' re-enactment to begin. It happened to be in the middle of a corn field that was mowed down in the weeks before. This guy and his kid came and sat down next to me and I heard the father tell his son that this was a bamboo field as he picked up a corn stalk to inspect it. The dude was completely serious. City folks never cease to amaze me.

Awhile back someone inquired about buying some eggs from me. When I told her how much and the other details, she proceeded to try and have a conversation with me. The first thing she asked was 'how do you reconcile eating another life? I mean the egg is essentially a chick, right?' Then she proceeded to tell me the eggs were for her father as she doesn't eat any type of animal. Oh good grief. I was honestly at a loss for words.

And this isn't chicken related but.....I was at a living history weekend for civil war re-enactors waiting for a 'battle' re-enactment to begin. It happened to be in the middle of a corn field that was mowed down in the weeks before. This guy and his kid came and sat down next to me and I heard the father tell his son that this was a bamboo field as he picked up a corn stalk to inspect it. The dude was completely serious. City folks never cease to amaze me.

"Really, how do women world wide reconcile having a period every month, a human egg is essentially a baby right?
These eggs have (if infertile) as much chance being a baby chicken as your period has of being a baby..."
(If fertile) These eggs only have a chance of becoming -cute baby chicks- if properly incubated, I rent an incubator out for a deposit of $100, the hatching eggs are $5 a doz, and the rental fee is $15... if you also have proper accommodations for the next ten years and chickens are legal in your area of town..." (I've actually sold the eggs at 5$ to someone like that...they declined to rent the incubator)

OK, I'm a coward- so haven't said that much... but I think this at the snotty people that see me wearing a 'Got Eggs' shirt and know I'm dropping eggs off to customers... when they come and call me chicken killers... Uggg- most people have their opinions and I have mine and don't try to drown me in there opinion. I only say, "I'm sorry I'm sold out, thank you for your interest in my chicken's extra eggs."

-
And bamboo- I mean I guess they kinds look alike... they are both tall plants... and ... um... nope- I got nothing.

Last edited:
"Really, how do women world wide reconcile having a period every month, a human egg is essentially a baby right?
These eggs have (if infertile) as much chance being a baby chicken as your period has of being a baby..."
(If fertile) These eggs only have a chance of becoming -cute baby chicks- if properly incubated, I rent an incubator out for a deposit of $100, the hatching eggs are $5 a doz, and the rental fee is $15... if you also have proper accommodations for the next ten years and chickens are legal in your area of town..." (I've actually sold the eggs at 5$ to someone like that...they declined to rent the incubator)

OK, I'm a coward- so haven't said that much... but I think this at the snotty people that see me wearing a 'Got Eggs' shirt and know I'm dropping eggs off to customers... when they come and call me chicken killers... Uggg- most people have their opinions and I have mine and don't try to drown me in there opinion. I only say, "I'm sorry I'm sold out, thank you for your interest in my chicken's extra eggs."

-
And bamboo- I mean I guess they kinds look alike... they are both tall plants... and ... um... nope- I got nothing.

LOL I'm not brave enough to say anything either. Don't like confrontation, even if the person is a jerk. I just don't get the train of thought that says it's bad to eat chicken eggs. It's as if these people think the hens are at the mercy of humans and if we'd just stop eating eggs, they'd stop laying them. Sheesh.

OMG seriously some stranger has SAID that to you?
ep.gif

where the heck do you live? must be tree-hugger central!
now don't get me wrong, I certainly hug a tree from time to time, but sheesh!
that would totally have caught me flat footed with no response. but now that I'm forewarned, I'll have one ready...
probably have to go with ... the slightly furrowed brow, the quizical look, " ... aaaand .... your point is?"
then if pressed, perhaps "Why, yes I DO eat them, they taste a lot like children." <toothy grin>

ok, maybe not that last part but you KNOW I'll be thinking it.

well they're both kind of a grass thingy... you know I often look at the hollow stems of the knotweed and crabgrass in my lawn and think... is that CrabGrass? or Corn? Maybe it's bamboo...
idunno.gif

OMG seriously some stranger has SAID that to you?
ep.gif

where the heck do you live? must be tree-hugger central!
now don't get me wrong, I certainly hug a tree from time to time, but sheesh!
that would totally have caught me flat footed with no response. but now that I'm forewarned, I'll have one ready...
probably have to go with ... the slightly furrowed brow, the quizical look, " ... aaaand .... your point is?"
then if pressed, perhaps "Why, yes I DO eat them, they taste a lot like children." <toothy grin>

ok, maybe not that last part but you KNOW I'll be thinking it.

well they're both kind of a grass thingy... you know I often look at the hollow stems of the knotweed and crabgrass in my lawn and think... is that CrabGrass? or Corn? Maybe it's bamboo...
idunno.gif

Yeah it's the trendy area of town, I live in Jacksonville, FL (the un-trendy area) but these people don't live near me- they live in overpriced 80 year old homes right on top of each other- the thing is the people that -do- want to buy, all natural, hormone and antibiotic free, cage free, cruelty free, about 7 day or less old eggs get them form me there I have a list of customers and can sell out 12-15 dozen no problem.

It's been a couple vegan kids (18-27) - not the responsible people that do research, the weird ones that look sickly pale and have thin hair...

Some of these posts remind me of an old joke. A wealthy woman had car problems and the car broke down next to a service station, and the mechanic told her it would be a few hours to fix the auto. So the woman went across the street to the diner. The waitress took her drink order and listed the days specials that included a beef tongue sandwich. the rich lady stated she couldn't eat anything out of an animals mouth. So the waitress suggested an egg sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom