The DUMBEST thing I've ever heard somebody say about Chickens...READ!

Quote:
Poor chicks and ducks! Yes, it is his fault that he took on acquiring 32 live animals with zero knowledge of how to care for them.

The scariest part of this is that MANY people with zero idea about livestock (chickens and ducks ARE livestock) will decide they want to be "farmers" and will acquire said livestock with no understanding of how to raise or care for them or even any idea about how much it costs to house and feed them.

I was raised on a real farm, where we raised nearly everything we ate, so I know a lot about livestock, but after being off the farm for a number of years, I read up and researched about keeping chickens and other poultry for nearly two years before actually jumping in and getting my first six chicks back in March. I also belong to a poultry club run by Patricia Foreman and have attended many workshops over the last year. With my knowledge and background, I still have found myself in over my head a couple of times over the last six months of keeping chickens. How much worse would it be for someone that doesn't even know whether it's the hens or roosters or both that lays the eggs or if a 4-week-old chick can lay eggs or if a duck sleeps in the water???

Poultry are living, breathing & feeling animals and deserve to be raised by someone who knows enough about their care, feeding and housing needs to not cause them harm or death by ignorance of same. We are joking around about some of this ignorance and it is funny to read, but the truth is that these same people think nothing of going out and acquiring a live animal with no idea of what their requirements are for humane care. I cringe on here every time I open a post that reads "HELP!!! I just got chicks! What do I do now?" Then there are all the posts wanting to know how to stop them from being chickens and ducks (crowing, pooping, scratching the lawn, etc.)

I feel my blood pressure going up--need to get off my soapbox.

Quote:
Poor chicks and ducks! Yes, it is his fault that he took on acquiring 32 live animals with zero knowledge of how to care for them.

The scariest part of this is that MANY people with zero idea about livestock (chickens and ducks ARE livestock) will decide they want to be "farmers" and will acquire said livestock with no understanding of how to raise or care for them or even any idea about how much it costs to house and feed them.

I was raised on a real farm, where we raised nearly everything we ate, so I know a lot about livestock, but after being off the farm for a number of years, I read up and researched about keeping chickens and other poultry for nearly two years before actually jumping in and getting my first six chicks back in March. I also belong to a poultry club run by Patricia Foreman and have attended many workshops over the last year. With my knowledge and background, I still have found myself in over my head a couple of times over the last six months of keeping chickens. How much worse would it be for someone that doesn't even know whether it's the hens or roosters or both that lays the eggs or if a 4-week-old chick can lay eggs or if a duck sleeps in the water???

Poultry are living, breathing & feeling animals and deserve to be raised by someone who knows enough about their care, feeding and housing needs to not cause them harm or death by ignorance of same. We are joking around about some of this ignorance and it is funny to read, but the truth is that these same people think nothing of going out and acquiring a live animal with no idea of what their requirements are for humane care. I cringe on here every time I open a post that reads "HELP!!! I just got chicks! What do I do now?" Then there are all the posts wanting to know how to stop them from being chickens and ducks (crowing, pooping, scratching the lawn, etc.)

Agreed!! Eventho I bought 3 chicks/ducklings on a whim. But I take care of all my animals and I knew they wouldn't be an exception I expected to have to read my little tail off to properly care for my new birds- and I thank the knowledge of byc members and their generosity in sharing what they know!! I for YEARS have said it should be illegal to sell any animal without properly informing the buyer of the animals needs and what to do or where to go with questions. I worked innan emergency vet for about 5 years and I would guess 50% of the things we saw was directly caused by owner mistreatement (purposefully or accidentally) and on top of that probably another 25% was something that could have been easily solved had the issue not been neglected. I am thrilled beyond belief anytime someone says "I'm thinking of getting a rabbit/bird what do I do?". (those are my main focus) because informing beforehand may prevent a miserable life and horrible death for these poor creatures!

Quote:

Agreed!! Eventho I bought 3 chicks/ducklings on a whim. But I take care of all my animals and I knew they wouldn't be an exception I expected to have to read my little tail off to properly care for my new birds- and I thank the knowledge of byc members and their generosity in sharing what they know!! I for YEARS have said it should be illegal to sell any animal without properly informing the buyer of the animals needs and what to do or where to go with questions. I worked innan emergency vet for about 5 years and I would guess 50% of the things we saw was directly caused by owner mistreatement (purposefully or accidentally) and on top of that probably another 25% was something that could have been easily solved had the issue not been neglected. I am thrilled beyond belief anytime someone says "I'm thinking of getting a rabbit/bird what do I do?". (those are my main focus) because informing beforehand may prevent a miserable life and horrible death for these poor creatures!

Oh and on that same note- you wanna talk about dumb things: it drives me completely BATTY to hear ppl complain about the red tape they have to go thru to get an animal from the shelter. that animal is there because of neglect or mistreatment by its previous owner- how stupid would the shelter be to just hand out animals- back into that same situation? If you are responsible enough to care for an animal a few hoops shouldn't be an issue for you. If it is then get a plant because you're already showing signs of the neglect to come.

And can we talk about animal breeders and pet stores?? How is this allowed to continue? Omg. I'm not even going to start because I have chores to do and they won't get done if I start with this topic!

Quote:

OTOH, this fellow is asking questions, clearly wants to learn, and wants to provide his children with knowledge and experience he didn't have a chance to learn as a kid. if he follows up with his desire to learn, and is capable of using the available resources, he may do just fine by these birds.

few people are fully trained in *anything* before they begin. certainly none have experience before their first round of trying. many people learn best on their feet rather than by book or schooling. if he's interested, and seeking knowledge, and seems willing to deploy what he learns, and is interested in using resources like this forum, good for him. and even better for his kids.

the only way to ensure that animals you breed get the care you fully approve of is never to sell them. It's why I don't breed anything I don't intend to keep or eat. when I have had to sell an animal, I try to qualify the buyer, and provide support after, but its still something I do reluctantly. Sometimes if the buyer is inexperience but eager to learn and willing to utilize support, they may still be the right candidate.

people start where they start, there's no incrimination in that. he's buying birds, and he's asking questions about how to care for them. he clearly already knows the level of his knowledge is inadequate, or he wouldn't be asking questions. if the seller, who has experience, gives him the information he needs but doesn't know enough to ask for, he may do just fine by his animals.

Quote:
Ummm...did you get your chickens from a breeder or are they wild chickens you rescued?? I am a "breeder". Throw it at me. I'll educate you. Don't want to do it here? Email or message me. Animal shelters do more harm than good. Same with vets. Then again, same with human doctors.

Complaints about people not educating themselves prior to obtaining animals applies even more so to man's best friend. Problem is the vets and dog food manufacturers are responsible for almost all of the health problems our dogs (and cats and....) have today. There is no "health care", there is only "sick care". As with most human doctors. It is sad and disgusting. If you truly care about and want healthy animals, don't go to a vet unless there is a dire emergency. Why? You'll come home with a wide array of poisons and pesticides (to put on or in your animal) and artificial food that is not fit for a barn rat, let alone a carnivore like a cat or dog. I don't believe most of these vets do it consciously but rather don't ever question anything. They receive all their nutritional training by Science Diet. Ha!
That's a joke - or it should be. But it is fact. No wonder our pets are so unhealthy. If people would just think a little...
Think you want a pet from an animal shelter? I'd think again if I were you. But then, I prefer to have a healthy dog that has not received multiple immune system - destroying vaccines, two or three pesticides for "prevention" , and a nasty, smelly coat that screams "I eat dog food". I don't want someone else's problem - the possibility of a lifetime of trying to heal a hopeless health or behavior case. If that is what you want, go for it. If that makes you feel like a saint, whatever. And you can't blame breeders for the lack of pet homes. More often it is simply the irresponsible people who wanted the pet - and then didn't. The idiot who let their unaltered dog run loose and have litters. To blame hobby breeders is well, ignorant of the facts. Puppy mills? Yes. Different story.
And I will agree that most "hobby" breeders are no better when it comes to caring for and producing healthy animals. They poison their dogs to the hilt and call them "healthy". I don't know about most people, but I don't want to spend $600 to $800 on an eight week old puppy who has had multiple vaccines, poisons to worm (whether necessary or not), poisons for fleas, all of which would be unnecessary if eating a diet to support true health... THAT makes me sick. We are truly a species in favor of ignorance.

You would be surprised how many people believe stereotypes. And yes I'm a real blonde. I don't know if the unfortunate lady who the original story was about is a blonde or not. I work in a chemical plant as an operator. I am the only female on an otherwise all male crew. I get pretty tired of the blonde comments and even worse the "she's just a woman comments. I do the same job they do and make the same money they do, but in their eyes for some reason I'm inferior to them because I'm a woman. They get particularly upset if someone questions their intelligence but they think its perfectly ok to do the same to me. I was really only about half kidding when I posted my original comment. I didn't even check the thread again until today, I had no idea there had been so many comments. Just sayin'.....

My friend said "the boy chickens are called hens right?" I burst out laughing at that!

Also my friend jaw dropped when I told her chickens can be smaller than a football, she thought all chickens are big and brown lol

My math teacher was telling us about how food companys bend the rules (dont ask how we got on this topic) she told us that she used to work for Frito Lay, making beef Jerky when she was in college. On the package it says "100% beef" she says that when she was theren there were these big crates that said "100% Beef Lips" and "100% Beef Cheeks" ( she said "I always wondered wich cheeks they were talking about...
lol.png
) I have decided I will never eat Beef Jerky again!!

Back
Top Bottom