The DUMBEST thing I've ever heard somebody say about Chickens...READ!

Okay, I give up!! What is "balout"??? I grew up on a farm and thought I knew all of the disgusting things people eat, but I never heard of this and don't come up with anything edible (or not) when I Google the word. I grew up on a farm, but my mother had a weak stomach, so we never ate things like souse, blood pudding, cow tongue or pork brains. I never met anyone who would eat pork brains until I got married to a city boy, and all of his family ate them cooked with scrambled eggs. They also ate scrapple, pon haus, blood pudding, pigs feet and other disgusting-to-me things.

Quote:
ok, probably more correctly spelled "balut"... duck eggs, incubated to 17 days and then boiled and eaten from the shell. popular in the Philippines and some south asian countries.
it's not like I have an opinion or anything, but may I just say
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

and I come from heritage where they eat haggas...

Last edited:
Quote:
at what point exactly? that's a great question. I guess I think they're food untill they start to develop a visible embrio, then they *aren't* food again until they're capon size. chicks aren't food. and balout is DEFINITELY not food!

we have ducks and lots of folks are initially grossed out by the idea of eating duck eggs. that is, until they try one and find out that duck eggs are the BEST tasting eggs ever! (sorry, chickens, I love you and I happily eat your eggs, but duck eggs are definitely better.) we eat goose eggs (mostly in baking) and next spring I'm going to get to try turkey and guinea eggs too. but I guess we all have a line... a friend of mine has multitudinous breeding colonies of parakeets and they eat the itty bitty jeallybean sized parakeet eggs... to which I have to say ... um... EWWWW!
sickbyc.gif

ok, I'd try them if she offers, but in my head, they're definitely ewww.

Well balout isn't food in OUR culture- but it most certainly is in others. Many other cultures eat chicks to. Not everyone has a fridge full of food at their immediate disposal. And then I guess you have to define "food". I guess I would define it as anything you can choke down that doesn't kill you- which opens a whole range of items we say are NO WAY! I personally hate it when he brings balout home -gag- I can always look away but the smell I can never escape the smell

I might be spelling it wrong but its a snack in the philippeans. Its fertilized duck egg that's hard boiled? And fermented? When he cracks it open the duck is pretty far along it has little feathers and everything with a small yolk left.

Quote:
ok, probably more correctly spelled "balut"... duck eggs, incubated to 17 days and then boiled and eaten from the shell. popular in the Philippines and some south asian countries.
it's not like I have an opinion or anything, but may I just say
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

and I come from heritage where they eat haggas...

Now, that just more disgusting than I could ever imagine! I, too, come from a heritage that eats haggas and mutton, but I choose to ignore that part of my background. Thanks for educating me so I'll know to say "no thank you" if ever offered balut ... or haggas ... or anything that comes from a sheep or goat.

Quote:
well, I'm good with lamb and mutton, properly prepared (we raise sheep, for milk, meat, wool) and I'm ok with goat too (we raise them for the same reasons.) but there's a part of my brain that just doesn't think one should eat baby animals. let them grow up, at least to teenagers, and *then* eat them. but baby animals? no, definitely not food. and balut? that'd be a BIG I Don't Even Think So.

Quote:
yeah, wikipedia has photos of people eating them... WTMI on that too.
although I suppose you'd almost *need* those photos to convince me that people actually DO that!
bleh.

Back
Top Bottom