The EE braggers thread!!!

I got two double yolkers the other day, one from an EE and one from my Muscovy duck. I was able to candle both and could see two yolk shadows in each.
celebrate.gif
So not only are your girls making eggs for you, but they are making special eggs !

Hey can anyone helpe me try to explane the differance between Americana auracana and EE I'm getting flustered tring to explane to a friend

I have 4 hatchery-grade EE's that are about a year old.
I didn't pay much attention to their color since I wanted them for my egg business, not breeding etc. But last fall when I did my first incubator hatch, I put in some of the biggest best green eggs, just to see what hatched. I also put in some nice big shiny brown eggs that I assumed were from a barred rock hen. All the green eggs, and all the brown eggs, looked like they came from the same hen.

Little did I know then that the brown eggs were most likely also from an EE, since none of my chicks from that hatch showed much resemblance to a barred rock (dad is a black copper marans).

Poring over pics to try and sort out which eggs hatched which chickens (bad me, I didn't separate or tag during hatch, so all the chicks were mixed up) I noticed that my EE's look more like blue wheaten than just wheaten. I couldn't figure out where all the blue came from, so that makes a lot of sense.

When I was googling "blue wheaten ameraucanas" I found a few pictures that looked a lot like my (hopefully) olive egger pullets, and they were out of hens that look pretty much like my hatchery EE's.
ALso wondering how to describe their colors, and the roo colors. I know EE's are full of surprises, but it doesn't help that I'm not to up on color terminology either.

seventreesfarm, I drove 110 miles, each way, to buy 2 hens that look alot like your girls, there. They are Marans/Amie crosses, as well. beautiful olive green eggs. One lays olive that is brown speckled, as a former Soldier/Marine, I love them. I also like the "blue" bottoms of those girls. I get alot of comments about their appearance, when people see them. You have some beautiful chickens, in that post. The Roo looks similar to Cog, my avatar pic Roo.

Last edited:
Cool!!
They haven't started laying yet, but I hope to get nice olive eggs from them so I can keep them in my breeding program. I'm just glad I figured out who their parents are! I hatched some bought eggs, assorted Olivers, Ameraucanas, etc. and would like to have 2 diff breeding lines to start with. Still not sure the parentage on the roo though. He could be the son of my BCM, so I'm penning him with cuckoo marans and wellies right now.

The little blue butts will have to wait and see who their 'mystery date' is
lau.gif

seventreesfarm, I drove 110 miles, each way, to buy 2 hens that look alot like your girls, there. They are Marans/Amie crosses, as well. beautiful olive green eggs. One lays olive that is brown speckled, as a former Soldier/Marine, I love them. I also like the "blue" bottoms of those girls. I get alot of comments about their appearance, when people see them. You have some beautiful chickens, in that post. The Roo looks similar to Cog, my avatar pic Roo.

I have 4 hatchery-grade EE's that are about a year old.
I didn't pay much attention to their color since I wanted them for my egg business, not breeding etc. But last fall when I did my first incubator hatch, I put in some of the biggest best green eggs, just to see what hatched. I also put in some nice big shiny brown eggs that I assumed were from a barred rock hen. All the green eggs, and all the brown eggs, looked like they came from the same hen.

Little did I know then that the brown eggs were most likely also from an EE, since none of my chicks from that hatch showed much resemblance to a barred rock (dad is a black copper marans).

Poring over pics to try and sort out which eggs hatched which chickens (bad me, I didn't separate or tag during hatch, so all the chicks were mixed up) I noticed that my EE's look more like blue wheaten than just wheaten. I couldn't figure out where all the blue came from, so that makes a lot of sense.

When I was googling "blue wheaten ameraucanas" I found a few pictures that looked a lot like my (hopefully) olive egger pullets, and they were out of hens that look pretty much like my hatchery EE's.
ALso wondering how to describe their colors, and the roo colors. I know EE's are full of surprises, but it doesn't help that I'm not to up on color terminology either.

these birds have a of course blue and buff. the rooster has silver which sometimes inhibits or dilutes other colors. Her also carries a melanotic gene which is evident in his beak and legs.

Hey can anyone helpe me try to explane the differance between Americana auracana and EE I'm getting flustered tring to explane to a friend

Araucanas are a breed originating out of South America that have the blue egg gene. They are rumpless, and tufted. They lay Blue Eggs.

Ameraucanas were developed from Araucana's, but have a very specific breed standard of their own now. They have tails, muffs, beards, and only come in 8 recognized colors (Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White). They lay Blue or Green Eggs.

Easter Egger is a catch-all name for any bird that carries the blue egg gene but neither conforms to the specific Ameraucana or Araucana breed standards. So... you could have a bird that was hatched out of an Ameraucana X Ameraucana breeding... but if it isn't one of the 8 recognized colors, or has the wrong shape of comb, or isn't bearded, or has yellow legs... or some other expression that falls outside of the standard, it's called an EE. Often times they are mixed breed birds, so they can lay anything from Blue to Green, to Brown, to Pink, to White depending on their individual heritage.

More or less...

Last edited:
Araucanas are a breed originating out of South America that have the blue egg gene. They are rumpless, and tufted. They lay Blue Eggs.

Ameraucanas were developed from Araucana's, but have a very specific breed standard of their own now. They have tails, muffs, beards, and only come in 8 recognized colors (Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten and White). They lay Blue or Green Eggs.

Easter Egger is a catch-all name for any bird that carries the blue egg gene but neither conforms to the specific Ameraucana or Araucana breed standards. So... you could have a bird that was hatched out of an Ameraucana X Ameraucana breeding... but if it isn't one of the 8 recognized colors, it's called an EE. They can lay anything from Blue to Green, to Brown, to Pink, to White depending on their individual heritage.
This should be a sticky under FAQ or some place because it is one of the most concise explanations of a very frequently asked questions

Back
Top Bottom