The EE braggers thread!!!

Our chicks are 5 weeks old now - 3 of the 16 are EEs

This is Aeren -

This is Hazel

And EE #3 is being a camera-phobe - which is funny because that's the one I most want to post as I am becoming increasingly convinced "she" is a HE - we haven't assigned a name yet because we won't be keeping him.

Posting this as Educational Post, source> https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/301500/naked-neck-turken-thread/10290#post_13251581
Quote:
Ok I will try to explain this..

Most Easter Eggers have only one Copy of the blue egg shell gene(Unless is a pure Ameraucana, which EEs are not) that single Copy of the blue egg shell gene is Linked the Pea Comb by 4 centimorgan, so its very very close, so what does this link thing means? it means that whererver the Pea comb genes goes, the blue egg shell gene will follow, and the single comb gene that is also pressent on the EE hen does not have a blue egg shell gene linked to it, so it means that wherever the single gene comb goes, it will go alone and will not have a blue egg shell gene.. so the Mother Had only one copy of the Pea comb gene and looks like she inherit her Offspring(your pink egg laying pullet) that lonly single comb gene.. so from Dame side she is NOT getting the blue egg shell gene

Now to the Sire side The Sire inherited Only 1 Copy of the blue egg shell gene from the Cream legbar(therfore his sisters layd blue colored eggs) But guess What? Remember how the blue egg shell gene is linked to the pea comb? well sometimes(about 3% chance) the blue egg shell will migrate to the single comb gene, Dr. Punnett got Chilean hens that had single comb and that also laid blue eggs, these hens were the foundation stock for the cream legbar, these hens were what is know in genetic terms, Recombinants, Their Blue egg shell gene is now Linked to that specific single comb, not any single comb just that one, so what this means is that while sire is single combed(p+/p+) one of those single comb gene has a blue egg shell gene attached to it and it wont go anywere else alone(wont segregate independently)

so this is what happened..

Dame Genetic Make up p+(o+)/P(O) where p+ is single comb and o+ is white egg shell..
Sire Genetic Make up p+(O)/p+(o+) sow what is the change of your Pullets inheriting both p+(o+)/p+(o+)

So What were the Chances of this happening to you?(chances of you not getting blue eggers even heterozygous ones) Only 25%, which is low but not improbable, if I were you I would do the same cross again, you would have 75% chance of getting blue eggers..

now to the Actuall Cross percentages

doing this cross will give you

25% chance of getting P(O)/p+(O) homozygous blue eggers (deep blue eggs)
25% chance of getting P(O)/p+(o+) heterozygous blue egger (light blue eggs)
25% chance of getting p+/(O)/p+(o+) heterozygous blue egger (light blue eggs)
25% chance of getting p+(o+)/p+(o+) white/pink colored eggs

Hope this helps

Thank you for the color compliments. I'll be selling two of the white pullets (I was hoping they'd be wheaten like my last one) and at least two of the black EEs (don't know the sexes) if there is anyone in MI that is interested. May be selling the "tweed" browns - haven't decided yet.

Wow. That egg color post made my head spin! I read it 3 times and still don't get it. I did however see the 25% pink; is this the "tinted"/ "pink" or the pink all the way through the shell pink? I'll re read this till i get it as i've been mulling egg color genes over as well.

Wow. That egg color post made my head spin! I read it 3 times and still don't get it. I did however see the 25% pink; is this the "tinted"/ "pink" or the pink all the way through the shell pink? I'll re read this till i get it as i've been mulling egg color genes over as well.

ok the 25% could be Brown or Pink or even white, it just represents the lack of Blue egg shell gene, now I find very interesting what Pink eggs are, they dont follow the whole brown egg gene pattern of work(outer layer of brown pigment, while being white inside)

So the three EEs I had hatched by my ameraucana are almost 5 weeks old. Two boys and a girl. The funny thing is, the girl I would have sworn was a boy earlier on. She's been feathering white with a touch of black on the feathers. I'll try and get a picture of her tomorrow. She's promising to be a very pretty hen.

I set 18 EE eggs last night. Some of them are from my EE cockerel over Cream Legbars. I don't care for the yellow legs, but they lay very nice blue eggs so any pullets from the cross should have good "output." :) One of the Legbars is crested and I'd love to have a bearded, muffed, and crested EE.

Back
Top Bottom