The EE braggers thread!!!

I am hoping someone can help me. One of my favorite EE hen is laying extremely soft shelled eggs to the point where it's just squishy and has no shell to it at all. She is a little over 2 years old. Is she not getting enough calcium or something? What could I feed her? I always give them 16% dumor layer pellets and right now give them some cracked corn too. They don't like oyster shells either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am hoping someone can help me. One of my favorite EE hen is laying extremely soft shelled eggs to the point where it's just squishy and has no shell to it at all. She is a little over 2 years old. Is she not getting enough calcium or something? What could I feed her? I always give them 16% dumor layer pellets and right now give them some cracked corn too. They don't like oyster shells either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Since they don't like oyster shell you could feed them their own egg shells back to them. I don't know if you could possibly even put them in yogurt to mask it? Just a thought :D

I think it was also. Fuzzybutt gave me some good ideas of having a bucket of water with me to dunk them in and maybe some buttermilk. Hard way to learn though :(  Thank you

It seems to me that dunking them in a bucket of water, would only send them into shock. Sorry about your rooster. 

Ok, I've been creeping around byc for a while now and thought maybe you could help me....this guy was sold as an ameruacana (I know, I know...he is more than likely an EE). What's throwing me though is his color....what would you call it?

Only shocks them if it is COLD, not cool; also i have heard to dunk yo neck but i only stand in enough to touch their bottom. A bucket just big enough for the bird is best; they feel the cool relief but don't see the water. Shallow ankle wading pools are a bonus for them in the summer.

I was told by nickaladia mine like that was golden silver duckwing. Means he is silver carrying gold

Soft eggs... not eating the oyster shell? Manna pro omega powder. Wet their pellets and mic a little handful in.wait 10 min and it will be fluffy; feed this once a day and throw away leftovers. Give normal rations and use this to supplement. It is an easy to digest form of calcium with the omega, my birds go nuts for it!!!

Since you are feeding a layer feed I don't think it is an issue with diet. I am no vet but I would venture to guess that it is more of an issue in how her body is using/digesting the calcium. She may just be a hen that is going to "burn out" young.

You need to up the Calcium a bit and a good way I to get a blender I go one at a thrift shop for $ 10. dollars and it works and that is all that matters and I putt he old egg shells in there and rush them up real good and it also works for Oyster shells as well and then I mix it into the wet feed ......

I have 1 of my EE hens laying an egg with tiny clusters of little bumps all over it. I looked the picture up and everything points to not enough calcium, I put out oyster shell and crushed, cooked egg shells. I thought it would just correct itself, but were going on 2 mos now and it's not. We still eat the eggs but some of the shells are so brittle it breaks into pieces when u try to crack it open. Don't know if i can change the feed as the chickens, ducks, turkey's all go into each others pens and eat, but in the chicken pen I do have chicken crumbles and self serve oyster shell on the side, plus they free range all day.

Talking about calcium all my eggs are properly shelled except for the odd one every now and then! So my question is : My chickens freerange on our farm. Will I need to feed them a calcium supplements or will they get it when they freerange?

Talking about calcium all my eggs are properly shelled except for the odd one every now and then! So my question is : My chickens freerange on our farm. Will I need to feed them a calcium supplements or will they get it when they freerange?
My chickens don't free range and I also don't provide them supplements. Now when I find an odd shelled egg, I will provide oyster shells, but only when the problem arises. I have only ever had one soft shelled egg and that hen was an internal layer (her first and only real egg was soft shelled) and she died yesterday. I tried different things and nothing worked for her, it was only a matter of time. It really depends on how worried you are about it. You can always leave calcium supplements for them to get to at their disposal, or you can just wait until a problem arises.

My chickens don't free range and I also don't provide them supplements. Now when I find an odd shelled egg, I will provide oyster shells, but only when the problem arises. I have only ever had one soft shelled egg and that hen was an internal layer (her first and only real egg was soft shelled) and she died yesterday. I tried different things and nothing worked for her, it was only a matter of time. It really depends on how worried you are about it. You can always leave calcium supplements for them to get to at their disposal, or you can just wait until a problem arises.
Thank you very much! I will wait 'till a problem comes up! I read in another post now that if you free range them they normally don't need supplements unless something comes up!!!
Thanks anyway!

I have 1 of my EE hens laying an egg with tiny clusters of little bumps all over it. I looked the picture up and everything points to not enough calcium, I put out oyster shell and crushed, cooked egg shells. I thought it would just correct itself, but were going on 2 mos now and it's not. We still eat the eggs but some of the shells are so brittle it breaks into pieces when u try to crack it open. Don't know if i can change the feed as the chickens, ducks, turkey's all go into each others pens and eat, but in the chicken pen I do have chicken crumbles and self serve oyster shell on the side, plus they free range all day.

Sandpaper eggs are an axcess of something. Potassium? Magnesium? One of those; probably stealing the duck's food. Different balance of nutrients. Pitted eggs are another thing but sounds like you are describing sandpaper.:)

Free range hens get calcium from the fresh greens :) baby spinach is another way to bump it up in hens, easy to digest also.

Back
Top Bottom