The EE braggers thread!!!

don't take these posts in a bad way, everyone here is very passionate when it comes to chickens ;)  lol

I'm not taking them in a bad way. I am new to chickens and I'm learning but I'm not convinced this is a roo. IF it is a roo then maybe somebody needs to tell my SFH roo that cause he seems to like her. ;)

i had a pen of only roosters and they tried to mate once or twice. lol. if you can isolate it and see if it lays an egg i would appreciate that because I would love to have hens that looked like that.

Our EE...... Ellie Mae
There's no need to go check on this one. I can tell you absolutely that this is a boy. Laying hens do not grow pointed saddle feathers. He is a handsome fellow, but an egg layer he will never be.
I'm not taking them in a bad way. I am new to chickens and I'm learning but I'm not convinced this is a roo. IF it is a roo then maybe somebody needs to tell my SFH roo that cause he seems to like her. ;)
As far as this goes, as another person has said, males will mount other males. Heck, hens will mount other hens! The submissive squat and the act of mating does not absolutely mean that there is one male and one female involved. Many times, the submissive squat is just that--a bird showing submission to a higher ranking bird. That higher ranking bird may then take that cue to show their dominance by mounting and going through the mating motions with the submissive bird. I have an EE hen that does this all the time to my other EE hens, but I do my best not to judge her life choices.

Thanks for everyones posts & helping us clarify that this is a rooster(
sad.png
really thought it was a hen) I apologize to anyone who I may have upset or offended. That was not my intentions.
smile.png

Ok so now it's time to rename him. Any suggestions? Also, I have a question for y'all.....we have a hen that was suppose to be an Olive Egger but for some reason she lays dark brown eggs. She came from a green egg so it's weird that she doesn't lay green eggs. Anyways, since my EE is a roo do y'all think that their offspring would lay green eggs?
hu.gif

Thanks for everyones posts & helping us clarify that this is a rooster(
sad.png
really thought it was a hen) I apologize to anyone who I may have upset or offended. That was not my intentions.
smile.png

Ok so now it's time to rename him. Any suggestions? Also, I have a question for y'all.....we have a hen that was suppose to be an Olive Egger but for some reason she lays dark brown eggs. She came from a green egg so it's weird that she doesn't lay green eggs. Anyways, since my EE is a roo do y'all think that their offspring would lay green eggs?
hu.gif
hide.gif
So I can come out now ! A great group on here to help you learn . We all were beginners once . No offense taken here . Your olive egger did not inherit the blue egg gene . Green eggs likely if the rooster carries 1 or 2 copies of the blue egg gene .

What about Elliot? I can't think of a similar name to Mae. :lol:

As for your olive egger, I'll try to explain as best I can. The gene that causes eggs to have blue shells is dominant, and so even if a hen is carrying just one allele for blue shells, she will lay blue shelled eggs. If this hen is then crossed to a rooster of a brown egg laying breed to produce olive eggers, only about half of her offspring will inherit the blue shell allele, meaning only about half of the offspring will lay olive eggs.

What a cross between your girl and guy will produce will depend upon what your rooster is carrying. The only way to know would be to do a test cross. If he is carrying two alleles for blue shells, all of his daughters will lay green eggs. If he carries only one allele, about half of his daughters will lay green eggs, and if he's not carrying the blue egg gene, all of his daughters will lay brown eggs.

(I hope that's right. :oops: But someone correct me if I'm wrong. I try to know this stuff, but I'm never confident I remember everything right. :lol: )

hide.gif
So I can come out now ! A great group on here to help you learn . We all were beginners once . No offense taken here . Your olive egger did not inherit the blue egg gene . Green eggs likely if the rooster carries 1 or 2 copies of the blue egg gene .

You can come out from under your chair now!
big_smile.png

What about Elliot? I can't think of a similar name to Mae.
lol.png

As for your olive egger, I'll try to explain as best I can. The gene that causes eggs to have blue shells is dominant, and so even if a hen is carrying just one allele for blue shells, she will lay blue shelled eggs. If this hen is then crossed to a rooster of a brown egg laying breed to produce olive eggers, only about half of her offspring will inherit the blue shell allele, meaning only about half of the offspring will lay olive eggs.

What a cross between your girl and guy will produce will depend upon what your rooster is carrying. The only way to know would be to do a test cross. If he is carrying two alleles for blue shells, all of his daughters will lay green eggs. If he carries only one allele, about half of his daughters will lay green eggs, and if he's not carrying the blue egg gene, all of his daughters will lay brown eggs.

(I hope that's right.
hide.gif
But someone correct me if I'm wrong. I try to know this stuff, but I'm never confident I remember everything right.
lol.png
)
I like Elliot. Makes me think of E.T.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for explaining that to me. I guess we can build another coop & separate these 2 from the others & see what happens. I love hatching baby chicks so this should be fun.

Back
Top Bottom