The EE braggers thread!!!

You know I was thinking the other day that maybe we should try and make a "real"breed out of the EE Chickens, and call it that Easter Egger, but then I also thought that that would take the whole fun out of it ha! As part of the fun with the EEs is the anticipation of not knowing how they'll turn out or what color egg they will lay, I love that feeling and at the same time I hate it lol

I really haven't read all these posts but would like to ask if anyone can tell me where to get these that will really lay different colors. Some people around my home say they have had them but they just mostly lay a tan egg. We would like some colored eggs. Thanks.

Quote:
Cool -- this is my "different" chipmonk chick... maybe she'll be similar!

blur1-2.jpg

Quote:
I got my girls from Meyer hatchery, they all lay colored eggs all different shades of blue, green, aqua. 23 females, and my one "mistake" male (although I hate to refer to my beautiful boy as a mistake) has a pea comb so am fairly sure he had a colored egg gene.

If you are wanting to purchase birds closer to egg laying age, the only physical charataristic that I am aware of as a good sign they will lay colored eggs is the comb being pea.

Quote:
I intend to officially call mine "North American Quechua", as that is (scientifically and culturally speaking) the most proper name for those that make the grade. The sad thing is that if it wasn't for the blue egg gene being dominant, then they would not be bred so haphazardly, crossed with everything under the sun, and the term "Easter Egger" probably never would have been thought of.

Quote:
I intend to officially call mine "North American Quechua", as that is (scientifically and culturally speaking) the most proper name for those that make the grade. The sad thing is that if it wasn't for the blue egg gene being dominant, then they would not be bred so haphazardly, crossed with everything under the sun, and the term "Easter Egger" probably never would have been thought of.

Wow North American Quecha, sounds like a really good name I like it, but it will be come more like a Ameraucana but with a different name right?

Quote:

Ok Medicine Man I got a question for you, I often see people, specially breeders, say that at hatcheries cross all kinds of chickens to create EE's, I get condused tho because most of the EE's I've seen from hatcheries have common features amongst each others like pea combs, beards, green legs or other color legs but yellow. But in my experience, I've crossed my EE hens with a BCM rooster and I think I only got like 1 chick with all those features together, some I got with green legs but straight comb, other with a pea comb but yellow legs.
So My question is, is that really true that hatcheries cross their EE's to all kinds of breeds?

Quote:

Ok Medicine Man I got a question for you, I often see people, specially breeders, say that at hatcheries cross all kinds of chickens to create EE's, I get condused tho because most of the EE's I've seen from hatcheries have common features amongst each others like pea combs, beards, green legs or other color legs but yellow. But in my experience, I've crossed my EE hens with a BCM rooster and I think I only got like 1 chick with all those features together, some I got with green legs but straight comb, other with a pea comb but yellow legs.
So My question is, is that really true that hatcheries cross their EE's to all kinds of breeds?

I'll defer to the expert on this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402512&p=1

In
spite of the half-baked logic perpetuated on BYC, the hatcheries are much, much more selective in their "Ameraucana" breeding than they get credit for. Yes, the hatchery Ameraucanas do have a lot of traits in common (typically) because they have come from an old race (Quechua) and they are really not all that far removed from it. It's all the amateur backyardigans crossing them to Buff Orpingtons and what-not and calling them "Easter Eggers" that are ruining the race.

Back
Top Bottom