The EE braggers thread!!!

Ryan and Peach2u- You both have some really nice colored EE chicks, I am partial to the silvers and believe you made an excellent choice of roo's with Blackbeard based on color. Sorry about your over abundance of roo's Peach! Don't know what it is this year but also everything born here so far this year( donkeys, goats, sheep, etc.) have been males. And yes, Peach, there are those that erroneously sell( and buy) so-called Ameraucana's that are nothing more than EE's. I have only one pb. Ameraucana hen and a chick of her's out of my silver EE roo so far is colored just like a blue Ameraucana. Will try and post a pic of it on this thread. Charlie

Ryan and Peach2u- You both have some really nice colored EE chicks, I am partial to the silvers and believe you made an excellent choice of roo's with Blackbeard based on color. Sorry about your over abundance of roo's Peach! Don't know what it is this year but also everything born here so far this year( donkeys, goats, sheep, etc.) have been males. And yes, Peach, there are those that erroneously sell( and buy) so-called Ameraucana's that are nothing more than EE's. I have only one pb. Ameraucana hen and a chick of her's out of my silver EE roo so far is colored just like a blue Ameraucana. Will try and post a pic of it on this thread. Charlie

Somehow a double post? HoP- Your chick seems to have what is termed a "monkey mouth" where the bottom jaw or beak is longer than the top one. This defect happens sometimes in most animal species and in your case shouldn't be of any concern as long as she can eat. That way she will grow up and produce eggs just like the other's! Charlie

I know this is an EE thread but I have to show my plan for my EE's and Maran's. This is LaMar LaRue a French Standard Splash Maran. He is a blue plumage carrier and a chocolate egg gene #8 on the color scale. I am going to breed him next year with my Black Copper Maran {FS} hens and get copper over blue feathers. Blue Copper Marans. I am also going to mix him with my green egg laying EE's. The offspring should be mostly blue/lav and lay olive eggs. Black Beard my EE roo will be my stud for the other color egg layers. He has the blue egg gene. Long term goal turn my flock to blue and have a rainbow of colored eggs. I see a new coop next year. But have to finish the main one first
83884_chickensn_coop_006.jpg

Sorry for the blur pix. He never sits still long enough.
83884_house_n_coop_002.jpg

About 70% done on the coop. Still needs the roof finished, siding, insulation under the coops and closed in, and the 2 upper level perches built and installed. After all said and done, it should have enought perches for 45 birds. But I don't plan on having that many
wink.png
More room = less fighting.
83884_easter2011_029_-_copy.jpg

the kids love Lamar he was 3 months old there

Last edited:
Very nice coop you have there! Any chicken would be proud to call it home. Also beautiful children you have and is great to see that they are enjoying the chickens as well. My 2 1/2 yr. old g'daughter is pictured in my avatar, she spends a great deal of time here with us and apparantly has inherited her Paw-paw's love of farm animals. She is just fascinated with newly hatched chicks and loves to hold them at any opportunity. Hope you have great results with your breeding game plan! Charlie

HoP yes, there is a way to help her beak. I had a parrot whos beak was not lined up. I would take him to the vet and get it shaped about every 4-6 months. They used a low powered dremel type grinder. I bet chickens are much easier to trim the beak on than african greys! At least a chicken can't scar you for life with a bite.

Quote:
All offspring from a Splash rooster over Black hens will result in 100% Blue chicks.

There will be no Lavender chicks from this pairing, as the Lav gene is completely different gene from Andalusian Blue.

Thanks we been working hard on the coop. The coop it's self is like fort Knox. The hatch door is a dead fall type hidden in the wall and is about 45 pounds. But, my 3 year old can open it by pulling on the pulley system. Everything inside is made to come out for easy cleaning even the nest box dividers. The floors are covered with left over sheet vinyl glued down. The double doors open wide to get in. I put a large bin in front and just swipe all the litter out. Any left over I get with a flat short shovel. Hose it down with bleach or soap sqiggy it out. I still need to paint the inside to protect the wood from me and my water
wink.png

83884_house_n_coop_006.jpg

On the end we built a closet big enought to hold 2, 55gal drums and a few bales of straw plus the rack shovel broom and bin.
83884_easter2011_031.jpg

All closed up for the night
83884_house_n_coop_010.jpg

nice open space and a window to air it out. Still need vents in the doors. They are going to be slide open type.
I have just been leaving one door open in the day for air flow. The window side is facing East, nest box south. It is hot in there this summer. The chickens have been hangging out in the coop or out side under my porch in the heat of the day. The coop is insulated better than my house! But this winter they will love the sun on the coop.

Back
Top Bottom