The EE braggers thread!!!

Quote: I think what you are asking is which roo would work the best? I would use the darker roo. That light roo almost looks splash is it? If it is, you could use him and get 100% blue sexlinked EE (pea combs will likely lay the colored eggs) You don't have to worry about the PATTERN on the roo but you can't use a barred roo to make sexlinks.

I think what you are asking is which roo would work the best? I would use the darker roo. That light roo almost looks splash is it? If it is, you could use him and get 100% blue sexlinked EE (pea combs will likely lay the colored eggs) You don't have to worry about the PATTERN on the roo but you can't use a barred roo to make sexlinks.
I'm not sure what color Larry is but splash is the best guess I can make. Got him in a trade a month ago, and the person I traded with was not the original breeder so Larry has come a long way and his 'pedigree' is lost to the ages lol. Thanks for the info. I guess what I'm trying to ask is how are the offspring going to be sex linked? Will the males have a spot on their head and the females won't? Will the females be a different color entirely from the males like red sex links? I'm sorry if that's a noob question, I've had chickens for a year but I've never bred them and my knowledge of chicken genetics is haphazard at best. So, using Larry will likely result in blue sexlinks, what kind of sexlinks do you think Mallard would make and why is he your first choice? Just trying to expand my general knowledge
bow.gif

Last edited:
The fact that the silkie lays a light brown egg.... you would probably get greener eggs.  And Ams do lay green eggs so don't be surprised.  Unless you KNOW the breeder breeds for egg color don't guess they SHOULD be blue.  I get eggs from a very pretty LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT blue almost white to a nice MINTY green egg from my ams and they came from good breeders too. 
ETA: Should be cream coloured. I wouldn't want a silkie to lay a brown egg.

Last edited:
Quote: I don't have silkies so I don't know, but unless the EGG SHELL is cream (I only know of egg shell color of white and blue), they carry brown egg genes. So that BROWN coating that make the egg CREAM and not WHITE will make the eggs green.
wink.png

I don't have silkies so I don't know, but unless the EGG SHELL is cream (I only know of egg shell color of white and blue), they carry brown egg genes.  So that BROWN coating that make the egg CREAM and not WHITE will make the eggs green. ;)
I'll have to test that out DM.

I do have bantam Ameraucanas, so I can easily use a male there against a silkie. :)

I don't have silkies so I don't know, but unless the EGG SHELL is cream (I only know of egg shell color of white and blue), they carry brown egg genes. So that BROWN coating that make the egg CREAM and not WHITE will make the eggs green.
wink.png

My silkies lay what I call a whitish cream colored egg. I know they say their eggs are "tinted". If tinted means very very pale brown then perhaps they're in that spectrum. That I don't know. The eggs most certainly do not look like they are a very light brown though; they look whitish. However I do not know the genetics there.
big_smile.png

My AM's breeder does breed for blue egg color and I saw a lot of her eggs and they were blue. They weren't green, however, if I get lucky enough to get some chicks to hatch, I'd adore a pale blue or pale green egg!! Would be fun to wait and see!
love.gif

So, how does this work? I want to make my own EEs in the Spring too! Last night I traded a RIR for a Barred Rock pullet. I have 2 EE roosters:
Mallard

And Larry:

I don't see how it is possible, unless that is a project bird, but that color looks just like porcelain! Don't come on large breeds, though unless someone in your area is doing a bit of private breeding? My little d'uccle pair, before the rooster got the rest of the tail and his sickle feathers:

Quote:Originally Posted by Simmonsfunnyfrm There is someone on here working on Lavender Wheaten Ams.. that was my first thought too. But it could have been an accidental cross, but that color combo would require SEVERAL generations to get 2 sets of Recessive genes to express.

Back
Top Bottom