The EE braggers thread!!!

Isn't it funny how differently examples from a breed can behave? Mine were hatchery birds so were obviously bred for production and likely not for their people skills. In spring of 2011 I sold a pair of young Jersey Giants to a girl for her 4-H project and she later told me that the male was very mean! I was surprised since mine were so mild-mannered, but I suppose there's some element of individual chicken-personality involved, too.

Right now I have a 5-month old EE cockerel that was attacked by a raccoon when he was about 5 weeks old. The raccoon bit his head really badly and I think may have in fact broken part of the cockerel's eye socket. I decided not to put him down the morning I discovered it and instead said I'd give him overnight and see if he made it. I also thought he'd lose that eye because it didn't look right. Were you to look at him up close now, you'd notice his feathers on the top of his head have a gap and one eye has the lids pulled tighter to the corner but otherwise he's okay. I've had other chickens take a much less serious wound and just up and die, so there is definitely a range in the will-to-live category, too. I hope that he'll "man up" in the spring and work his way up the pecking order (he's in with my pullets and hens because he's so mild-mannered) because I like the looks of him and would like some chicks out of him.

Isn't it funny how differently examples from a breed can behave? Mine were hatchery birds so were obviously bred for production and likely not for their people skills. In spring of 2011 I sold a pair of young Jersey Giants to a girl for her 4-H project and she later told me that the male was very mean! I was surprised since mine were so mild-mannered, but I suppose there's some element of individual chicken-personality involved, too.

Right now I have a 5-month old EE cockerel that was attacked by a raccoon when he was about 5 weeks old. The raccoon bit his head really badly and I think may have in fact broken part of the cockerel's eye socket. I decided not to put him down the morning I discovered it and instead said I'd give him overnight and see if he made it. I also thought he'd lose that eye because it didn't look right. Were you to look at him up close now, you'd notice his feathers on the top of his head have a gap and one eye has the lids pulled tighter to the corner but otherwise he's okay. I've had other chickens take a much less serious wound and just up and die, so there is definitely a range in the will-to-live category, too. I hope that he'll "man up" in the spring and work his way up the pecking order (he's in with my pullets and hens because he's so mild-mannered) because I like the looks of him and would like some chicks out of him.

Genetics play a huge role in their attitude. That is why any rooster who shows any signs goes to freezer camp. Even roosters who are aggressive to other chickens. I put 5 Naked Neck roosters in the freezer because of it. Those were my only aggressive boys. They were chicken/duck aggressive, and would rape any young bird. Even babies. I could not allow that. They didn't have much meat, but that's okay...

Lucky Brian is the only rooster we kept from them. He's really good with humans, but still is a bit enthusiastic in his mating attempts. I just need him to leave the silkie girls alone. He really has a thing for fluffy bottoms.

Technically he is an EE ;) His girls lay green eggs.

I'd say you should pick up the dog and chase the Roo with it....the Roo is showing dominance because the dogs wont, so maybe if the Roo sees you and the dog coming after him he'll stop being such a bully?!?! Also a soda can/bottle with pennies in it tossed at the Roo may work as well...less risk of harming him with a BBgun? Good Luck!!!

I know this was a few days ago... but the idea of picking up the dog and chasing the chicken... BAHAHAhahahaha! I love this forum.

I'd take a breath after a year. Though I find they are at their absolute worst at 6 months. However, he may have a lot of hormones come breeding season.

The most aggressive males I've had were back when I had Barred Rocks. Part of the reason I don't have them anymore. I've found that my Jersey Giants have the best temperament in terms of very low male aggression towards people, with EEs/Ams second, and my Marans being the most aggressive of the three. They are all low-key though and I only say the Marans are the most aggressive because they run up to me when I have the feed scoop and will peck at my boots in anticipation. The Giants and the EEs just sort of mosey over in their own good time.

Thank you, both. I was kind of hoping his behavior now would mean more but I will find out from his new owner if he stays sweet.
He is really calm with people and dangles his feet when held -- totally relaxed. Likes being petted. He struts around the yard with the ladies like Joe Cool, but is gentle as can be with us. :)

here is my growing ee rooster. he is currently perfecting his crow. i hope he continues to be sweet because he is too pretty to eat :p

I'm calling him Rod as in Rod Stewart

i think he is an ameraucana x marans. so probably an oe right?

My first thought was Fabio when I saw the pic.
gig.gif
But he is beautiful

My husband just said he had never seen a chicken w/ a mullet before. I
smack.gif
for you.
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom