the [egg] wait is driving me crazy!!!

One more today!
wee.gif

This is what happened to me. It hit the 20 week mark, 1 out of 10 hens started laying. I was so happy because i thought the rest would start to lay soon, but it was three week latter than the day i got my first egg when the rest started to lay. Does anyone know why it took 3 extra weeks for the rest to start lay?

My Black Copper Maran finally laid yesterday!!!! And today, too! Right up next to my other hen's egg, in the nestbox.
lol.png

They're so small, and not as dark as I was expecting....but they have lots of dark brown speckles...will they eventually get darker or do I have a half-breed BCM?

Just curious if anyone knows, but I'm still sooooo excited!!!
wee.gif

My 5 Speckled Sussex are at 20.5 weeks. i have noticed 2 of them squatting. I put Aspen shaving in their nesting box at first, but after talking to the guy at the feed store he said to try some straw. He gave me a paper grocery bag full of straw and alfalfa. I put some in their box and someone made i nice little nest in it after I checked the first time but it went down so deep that the wood was exposed. I added more Aspen shavings to the bottom and straw/alfalfa on top. Then next day I went out to check on them and they had kick most of it out in their coop and outside. I have also seen them eating the alfalfa. Does this mean they are lacking in food or something? i keep food and water available in their run and in their coop. This waiting is driving me bonkers I took a fake egg out and put it in their nesting box and we "talking" about it. lol I am sure they understood that I wanted them to lay an egg.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! I hope it works too!!

Wow, 26 acres to find eggs on...good luck!! I wish my hens would bring home a random clutch of babies! ^.^

Quote:
are they hatchery stock? Chances are they will not lay super dark eggs from a hatchery. Doesn't mean they are mutts, just that hatcheries breed towards production, and not towards breed standards.

Quote:
Do they get free range time? Do they get greens provided to them? They like fresh green stuff. I wouldn't let them eat the alfalfa though...it may cause an impacted crop.

I took some fake eggs and put them in the nest box the other day...the wind was blowing so hard two days ago that all the straw and all the fake eggs blew right out of the box!

Back
Top Bottom