The eggs are here!

688peterl

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
Ok my eggs just came like 5 mins ago, i know im supposed to rest them for 12 hours before incubating them but i cant remember which way? is it pointed side up or down? i also cant remember which way i candle the eggs? do i put the candler against the pointed side or round side?

You set the eggs up pointed side down and you candle from the round end.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! im having a few problems with the humidity too, my incubator (brinsea mini advance) is really tiny so i have had to strap a small hygrometer to the inside roof of the incubator using sticky tape, the hygrometer is good because i had 2 in the incubator yesterday (the other wont fit in with eggs so i cant keep that one in) and they both gave the same reading! The only thing im worrying about is the sticky tape becoming loose because of the humidity and the hygrometer falling! if this happens the eggs will probably crack especially when they are being turned (the incubator is autoturn), so im gonna have to keep my eye on the sticky tape, and maybe re-apply it everytime i remove the lid to fill the water chambers, is that a good idea? there is no other way i can measure the humidity! so if it comes to the worst case scenario as something goes wrong ie the eggs crack, i will buy more eggs and scrap the hygrometer and instead spray the eggs with water everyday, i just dont want the sticky tape to come loose! ive had the hygrometer strapped on since yesterday morning and this morning when i woke up the sticky tape was slightly loose!
sad.png

the good thing is that for the last 3 days when the eggs stop being turned i can put the hygrometer on the floor of the incubator so i wont need to worry about it then! i just hope nothing goes wrong! I paid over £100 for this thats like $160! (sorry im no good with exchange rates lol)

and do they really need to settled for 12 hours before going into the incubator? i cant be bothered waiting lol

OK ive just completely abandoned the hygrometer, ive had it in since yesterday and it gave a stable reading of around 60% to 65% and that with 1 of 2 water chambers full, so im just gonna keep 1 water chamber full for first 25 days and im going to lightly spray the eggs daily and hope for the best, i just wasnt happy with leaving that hygrometer strapped to the roof because i just had a feeling it will fall and crack the eggs, anyway i just put them in now! I know it hasnt been 12 hours but meh i cant see that making a difference, they were only laid yesterday so they are fresh as can be and i did settle them for about 2 hours so im hoping thats enough, omg i hope this works!

Quote:
i will its gonna be a long wait until next saturday lol thats when i find out if they are fertile, the egg candler i bought was very expensive its a high intensity candler especially for duck eggs so it should be really easy to tell if they are fertile or not..... 8 days to go!

AW! Good luck!

I have seven runners in my brinsea mini adv. I didn't bother with the hygrometer either. It held pretty steady for the first few test days and I was too worried about cracking an egg.

My eggies are due on Thursday. You think waiting until you can check if they're fertile is bad... Oh my goodness. Ducks take too long to hatch.

I have 7 crested runners on the way so that when these babies hatch I can put a new batch in.
big_smile.png

Quote:
how much water do you put into the water chambers? i fill 1 so the water level is just below the line, and i dont have any water going over the divider, im also gonna mist them daily... oh that reminds me.....

when should i start misting them? right away ie day 2 which is tomorrow or wait a few days?

Back
Top Bottom