The first time i saw spayed hens !

Quote:
I don't think that is true anymore... I posted lots of pics my very first post.

The 10 post rule became shortly after I joined BYC it wasn't in effect yet when you joined...

Spaying your hens? Interesting but is it worth the effort? my freedom ranger hens were not that much smaller than my cockerels were, slightly but not what I would consider worth it...

Quote:
the same way you caponize a cockerel. A spayed hen is called a poulard.They are still popular in Asia. And your Vet is full of it
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I've known several people that have spayed their special ones, especially the ones who have egg problems.

Heck I've seen pictures of a SERAMA hen that got spayed. The owner took pictures through the little hens surgery.

Quote:
The procedure is typically done on young birds while their sexual organs are still small and undeveloped. The Ovary is in very close proximity to the arteries. I can see how removing a developed ovary would be kinda risky.

Why not save your money on antibiotics and cull the bird? That might sound a little insensitive but that is what I would do.

Quote:
this is one of the reasons .
thumbsup.gif
. The boss of spayed hens told me that the meet of the spayed hens have more nutrition.

Quote:
the same way you caponize a cockerel. A spayed hen is called a poulard.They are still popular in Asia. And your Vet is full of it
big_smile.png

that's right!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I don't think that is true anymore... I posted lots of pics my very first post.

The 10 post rule became shortly after I joined BYC it wasn't in effect yet when you joined...

Spaying your hens? Interesting but is it worth the effort? my freedom ranger hens were not that much smaller than my cockerels were, slightly but not what I would consider worth it...

thank you for telling me this important information.

Back
Top Bottom