the girls are starting to lay, and other misc notes

MaGlockner

Songster
May 24, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello! Yesterday Blossom gifted us with her first egg, laid indiscriminately next to the waterer.
Today, Marigold, who is much more discrete, sought refuge in the privacy of the coop to gift us with her first egg.
(both are Buff Orps, hatched on 5/4/20)

I've noticed that they are both far more affectionate and want to be held. In fact, Marigold was not happy that Blossom was occupying the lap, so hopped up on the tree branch next to me (never used before now) and came in for a cuddle. They also seem to want to follow me out of the coop.

I'm assuming this is normal chicken behavior?

Attachments

• IMG_6411.JPG
    IMG_6411.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4340.jpg
    IMG_4340.jpg
    766.3 KB · Views: 4
It is for my flock. Every member knows their name, comes when each one is called (it's like Cheers around here!). I love talking to the flock and having morning coffee with them.

If you haven't already, you may want to put fake eggs in their nesting box or even put their egg they laid that day into the nesting box until you take it out later.

so apparently Marigold wants to be top hen, because a few hours later, she had Blossom pinned and was literally sitting on top of her. ??

And whomever laid the egg yesterday morning - my guess, Blossom - also left one late afternoon, same general area in the middle of the run. I even left Marigold's egg in the nest box, to no avail. Oh well, I expect it will take some time.

WTAcluck? Marigold went into the hen house to lay an egg, but didn't (this would be her second in as many days), now she's wandering about crowing loudly????!!!!???? is she transitioning to becoming a roo?? (asking because I read an older thread on the boards about a chicken doing that and I saw her sitting atop Blossom yesterday, I thought in retaliation for Blossom sitting in my lap first). Thoughts, gentle readers and chicken folk??

WTAcluck? Marigold went into the hen house to lay an egg, but didn't (this would be her second in as many days), now she's wandering about crowing loudly????!!!!???? is she transitioning to becoming a roo?? (asking because I read an older thread on the boards about a chicken doing that and I saw her sitting atop Blossom yesterday, I thought in retaliation for Blossom sitting in my lap first). Thoughts, gentle readers and chicken folk??
Highly doubtful.
A video so we can hear the 'crowing' would be helpful.
Vids need to be uploaded to youtube then linked here.

yes, Marigold did end up laying another egg yesterday, which would be two days in a row. She may follow the same schedule as Blossom, who seems to lay two days on, one day off. Blossom is the chicken run egg layer. I am really not happy with her indiscriminate dropping of her eggs hither and yon. Any advice on how to manage that? I am thinking about buying aspen nest box liners with herbs. Waste of money?

Back
Top Bottom