The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
I am a new hatcher and my first hatch I tried waiting 5 days before turning and out of 30 shipped eggs only 5 hatched. All of the eggs from my own flock hatched. I have some in the incubator now and this time I started turning on day 1 after they rested for 24 hours. So far I have more viable eggs this time around so maybe next week ill know for sure. I just like experimenting. All of my own flock look good too.

Hi y'all, does this 5 day wait come from years of experience? I am in no possition to say yea or nay. I am looking only for the best possible hatch. I have read a multitude of articles, this is the first place I have heard it. I'm just saying :)

I candled this morning and it does not look good.I think there are only two that look like they might make it,but I put back 14,will candle again in a couple days.I did see one with a blood ring and was not sure about that so I googled it and I wll take that one out .

I candled this morning and it does not look good.I think there are only two that look like they might make it,but I put back 14,will candle again in a couple days.I did see one with a blood ring and was not sure about that so I googled it and I wll take that one out .

:(
Sorry to hear that. I would definitely wait and candle again, just in case. My day 7 begins tonight. Not sure I will be able to see into the Marans eggs and I'm bad at candling, but I plan to take a peek anyway.

I am a new hatcher and my first hatch I tried waiting 5 days before turning and out of 30 shipped eggs only 5 hatched. All of the eggs from my own flock hatched. I have some in the incubator now and this time I started turning on day 1 after they rested for 24 hours. So far I have more viable eggs this time around so maybe next week ill know for sure. I just like experimenting. All of my own flock look good too.
The eggs are turned during incubation to keep the chick from sticking to the shell causing deformities. The first week of incubation does not effect this, so not turning them does not hurt them. Likewise they do not need to turn during the last week either. They are very fragile during the first week and being scrambled by shipping makes them even more so. Setting 30 eggs and hatching 5 is not the way to figure out hatch rate. The number that developed and were alive at day 18 compared to the number that hatched is how you calculate hatch rate.

How many of the shipped eggs made it to lockdown? If 7 made it to lockdown and 5 hatched then that was a great hatch rate. Not turning the eggs for the first part of setting them helps them hatch but does not help if the eggs that have been invaded by bacteria and get a blood ring because there was a little crack in the shell. The eggs will also not develop if they were not fertile.

People ship eggs so terribly that I am often happy to have any of them hatch. Some eggs are beyond saving and that is one reason why I am so happy that Wisher is experimenting with this packing method. Too often USPS is blamed when the eggs were packed poorly.

Wisher
hugs.gif

Here is the results of my 14 day candling. The results are really good! I had two eggs with a blood ring (1 each Maran and Ameraucana ) all others developing as they should be.
Stats as they are currently: ( from beginning )
16 eggs shipped
1 broke in shipping
3 clear at 7 day candling (2 scrambled air cells)
2 blood rings
10 developing(5 each Maran and Ameraucana ) (Extremely Good)
100% fertility (Amazing)
thumbsup.gif

Past Experience:In the past my experience with shipped eggs are as follows; I had less than 50% development mostly due to severely scrambled air cells in the mail. Only 70% of the shipped eggs were fertile. Of those that developed I had only approximately 25% hatch rate (mostly due to quitters half way through by the 14 day mark).

***** I will candle again at day 19 just before "lockdown" and I will post results then*****

I made a good candler to see into those dark eggs works really well. here are the pics:
Pic of the Maran egg with blood ring
e

Pic of some of the other eggs showing good development!

If you look to the left of the egg you can see the baby chick!

Wisher
hugs.gif

Here is the results of my 14 day candling. The results are really good! I had two eggs with a blood ring (1 each Maran and Ameraucana ) all others developing as they should be.
Stats as they are currently: ( from beginning )
16 eggs shipped
1 broke in shipping
3 clear at 7 day candling (2 scrambled air cells)
2 blood rings
10 developing(5 each Maran and Ameraucana ) (Extremely Good)
100% fertility (Amazing)
thumbsup.gif

Past Experience:In the past my experience with shipped eggs are as follows; I had less than 50% development mostly due to severely scrambled air cells in the mail. Only 70% of the shipped eggs were fertile. Of those that developed I had only approximately 25% hatch rate (mostly due to quitters half way through by the 14 day mark).

***** I will candle again at day 19 just before "lockdown" and I will post results then*****

I made a good candler to see into those dark eggs works really well. here are the pics:
Pic of the Maran egg with blood ring
e

Pic of some of the other eggs showing good development!

If you look to the left of the egg you can see the baby chick!
I just received my shipped wheaten maran eggs and have been going crazy trying to figure out the best way to candle. All I have is the standard hand held one. They are so dark! I'm glad to get an idea from you about what to expect them to look like when I do my own.

Any tips?

I just received my shipped wheaten maran eggs and have been going crazy trying to figure out the best way to candle. All I have is the standard hand held one. They are so dark! I'm glad to get an idea from you about what to expect them to look like when I do my own.

Any tips?

the best way is to have two light sources one on each top and bottom. If you use a flash light use a powerful one if you can. Here is something you can make out of a toilet paper roll. just cut it most of the way through lengthwise and then roll it back on it's self till it fits the end of the flashlight. then candle in a dark room like a walk-in closet or bathroom. here are a couple picks to hopefully help out.

Back
Top Bottom