The heart break moments when I realize Vigi stopped eating and drinking

missypebble

Songster
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
I’ve raised days old chicks before, but this time, I had no choice but raising a single Speckled Sussex chick. I believe she was only a few days old. I know it’s a no-no. And I want to let the world know my own stupidity so if someone happens to read my post, they will remember how baby chicks are so fragile little angel, but deserve the best care and love possible.

I got Vigi from a local feed store last Sunday. She was acting normal every day, except since yesterday’s morning. The night before yesterday, she was eating quite a bit, so I thought things were ok. She was alert, made lots of calling to The invisible mother hen but was normal, so it seemed. I gave her medicated chick crumble, ground some up as she seemed to prefer the powdery texture. She was small, fit in my hand and enough for me to cup her. I’m not a big person so Vigi was the smallest baby chick I’ve got. I gave her electrolyte water everyday.

Thus far, here are the things that I did not do correctly, and at this time, I can only beat myself up for it, many, many times over and my heart is so broken over Vigi’s death it seemed unbearable at this moment. I should have known better, but God knows my brain does not work sometimes and this time, it cost me my sweetheart Vigi:

1. I chose the wrong bedding for her brooder. The feed store told me cedar shavings are ok so I got that setup for her for the last 5 days in a plastic tub.
2. We handled her a little too much. I let her out in the backyard for a total of 5 hours during the last 5 days. She was running around ok. She’s small so she dropped and felt from our hands a few times that were not easy on her I think. But I don’t see any obvious signs that she’s injured. Except for yes afternoon when I held her in my hand, her Head raised, legs pointing upward. I thought for sure she was passing out in my hands. But, she managed to pull through the night.
3. I waited too long to learn she wasn’t doing well. She stopped eating starting on Thursday’s morning but I had to work and didnt dedicate time to feed her via syringe. I only did so starting yesterday’s late afternoon. She only ate very little.
4. I thought she had coci so I mixed up Corid and gave that to her this morning, via syringe. She tried to escape a lot and put lots of stress on her body and only then I realized she was extremely weak, lethargic and couldn’t stand up. She didn’t have sprayed legs, but she couldn’t get around much.
5. During her last hours, she again, wanted to escape the cage, walked around in a stressful mood and she was looking for comfort from mother hen. I didn’t know what to do to comfort her.
6. We made a sling to support her, had to adjust it twice... more stress on her.

My sweet angel, Vigi passed away a few Hours ago. I am devastated, upset, and wanted nothing more, but to wish Vigi would forgive me for all my stupidity while caring for her fragile body and mind.

All of my chickens are pet and they are all my children. I love them so very much and when a tiny, sweet Vigi passed away, I feel as though the world is collapsing within me.

I loved Vigi in ways that I shouldn’t have, caused her to slowly suffer, yet, she should have deserved so much more.

I am extremely sad and sought out to this site to lay my emotions as I hope a few would understand how feel.

I believe in reincarnation, and I hope to God Vigi’s soul would thrive well and rest in perfect peace in heaven. I don’t want her soul to reincarnated as another chicken really.

Thank you for reading my long post.

:hugsDon't beat yourself up. We all do the best we can with what we know @ the time. With chickens there's always a next time. Learn from your mistakes & honour Vigi by not repeating them. So many chickens have terrible lives. Vigis might have been short but she was more loved than most.

:hugs I know how you feel.:hit I also only keep my chickens as pets.
Do not blame yourself . You tried your best. I also do have personal views that some I see differently than you. You may use these when you raise your next stray chick.

I had no choice but raising a single Speckled Sussex chick. I believe she was only a few days old. I know it’s a no-no.
Disagree here, I think single chicks can be raised regardless. I know they do like companionship, but that is as they develop, and desire. People are same, wanting companionship.

I gave her medicated chick crumble,
I see this as proper choice.

I thought she had coci so I mixed up Corid and gave that to her this morning,
You were already feeding medicated, I feel this was unnecessary.:idunno

I chose the wrong bedding for her brooder. The feed store told me cedar shavings are ok so I got that setup for her for the last 5 days in a plastic tub.
I agree that cedar shavings are not the correct choice. I do not think it was the reason for Vigi's passing.

We handled her a little too much.
I agree with you here. The times that Vigi did fall and hit the ground may have been the reason for Vigi to go downhill:(

I waited too long to learn she wasn’t doing well.
I don't think earlier intervention would have helped any.

CAN YOU POST SOME PIX OF SOME OF YOUR OTHER PETS HERE.:frow:)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

:hugs I know how you feel.:hit I also only keep my chickens as pets.
Do not blame yourself . You tried your best. I also do have personal views that some I see differently than you. You may use these when you raise your next stray chick.

I had no choice but raising a single Speckled Sussex chick. I believe she was only a few days old. I know it’s a no-no.
Disagree here, I think single chicks can be raised regardless. I know they do like companionship, but that is as they develop, and desire. People are same, wanting companionship.

I gave her medicated chick crumble,
I see this as proper choice.

I thought she had coci so I mixed up Corid and gave that to her this morning,
You were already feeding medicated, I feel this was unnecessary.:idunno

I chose the wrong bedding for her brooder. The feed store told me cedar shavings are ok so I got that setup for her for the last 5 days in a plastic tub.
I agree that cedar shavings are not the correct choice. I do not think it was the reason for Vigi's passing.

We handled her a little too much.
I agree with you here. The times that Vigi did fall and hit the ground may have been the reason for Vigi to go downhill:(

I waited too long to learn she wasn’t doing well.
I don't think earlier intervention would have helped any.

CAN YOU POST SOME PIX OF SOME OF YOUR OTHER PETS HERE.:frow:)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

Thank you so very much for your detailed response! I truly appreciate it, and for comforting me that. I had tried my best... I sure hope Vigi did know that.

I only have a 10 years old Buff Orpington that’s by herself at the moment as pet. I’ll get a picture of her here somehow. I live in a city and there’s a Limit of 2 chickens allowed. I wish it was different.

I took note of your responses and definitely will not repeat the same mistake.

Thank you again!

:hugsDon't beat yourself up. We all do the best we can with what we know @ the time. With chickens there's always a next time. Learn from your mistakes & honour Vigi by not repeating them. So many chickens have terrible lives. Vigis might have been short but she was more loved than most.
Your words encourage me to be better and I appreciate it! I haven’t eaten since Vigi passed away... the grief has been hard. And you are right, I can only learn from mistakes and ”honor” Vigi by not repeating them. I have her wrapped up in a brilliant floral silk scarf, within a floral box. I’ll cremate her tomorrow morning. I know I’m odd for doing so, but that’s how I see these chickens...

Thank you for responding. It means a lot to me!

Since you live in a city with 2 chicken limit,,,,, can you adopt a grown chicken??
When I first started with chickens like 20 years ago, I got chickens from the Live poultry store. I just took them home live, not dressed.

Your words encourage me to be better and I appreciate it! I haven’t eaten since Vigi passed away... the grief has been hard. And you are right, I can only learn from mistakes and ”honor” Vigi by not repeating them. I have her wrapped up in a brilliant floral silk scarf, within a floral box. I’ll cremate her tomorrow morning. I know I’m odd for doing so, but that’s how I see these chickens...

Thank you for responding. It means a lot to me!
We've all lost wonderful companions & many of us have little rituals to commemorate their deaths. :hugs You will know many wonderful chickens in your life & each will be special in their own way.

Back
Top Bottom