The hens are back at a Michigan home

Amazing--hard to believe such strong responses from folks who apparently have made up their minds about a subject they obviously know nothing about. Pretty sad to condemn someone for feeling something was important enough to them to take the time and money to defend their right to provide a little of their own food. I would totally understand if somehow having chickens in a neighboring yard had a direct, negative affect on my chicken-free life (speaking as if I had no chickens...)...like they were not keeping the coop/run clean, smells, flies, excessive noise,etc..and even limitiing the number of hens in an urban or suburban setting, but these comments seem to be thoughtless and pretty strongly opinionated for the most part. Wow. Sad.

My grandfather grew up on the Dearborn/Detroit border in the 1920s and 30s, the son of Polish immigrants. His mother, my great-grandmother, did not trust the "new-fangled" grocery stores and bought the bulk of her food at farms in the country and preserved the excess. Grandpa said the family would get in the car and drive to the country (which nowadays would be areas like Farmington Hills and Dearborn Heights) to buy produce, milk and even meat ... on the hoof. They would buy piglets, turkeys and chickens live and bring them home. They always had a turkey or piglet or two in the yard. His job when he was a boy was to feed and take care of these animals. Great-grandma made her own sausage, soup stock and who knows what else and wasted nothing. Once in a great while for special occasions she would buy some beef, but it was a big treat in those days. It wasn't until the 1950s as the suburbs grew up and they aged that she finally succumbed to the grocery store. Both of my great-grandparents on that side lived into their late 80s

Back
Top Bottom