The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

These are my #4 choice on the left and #3 choice on the right. I numbered off a poster board in inches. They sure didn't want to cooperate by lining up on the numbers. Hah! #4 needs more brick shape maybe . #3 has more substance.

#4 choice

#3 choice. He spent a week with hens and lost his tail condition quickly. I'm not hatching eggs from him this year.

#3 from the top. These boys don't fit in my old LF show cage.

Charging my battery. I'll cage up my #1 and #2 choices later today.

Very helpful Mumsy... And to all who are commenting.
Thanks for taking the time.... it helps us all to develop the eye we hope to have.

Mine are not quite as old as yours, but with several leaving in the next week and few others going in the freezer, I am needing to narrow down my options.
So... with the wonderful help of photos and you great folks on here, I think I will take some pics and get some advice...

These are my #4 choice on the left and #3 choice on the right. I numbered off a poster board in inches. They sure didn't want to cooperate by lining up on the numbers. Hah! #4 needs more brick shape maybe . #3 has more substance.

#4 choice

#3 choice. He spent a week with hens and lost his tail condition quickly. I'm not hatching eggs from him this year.

#3 from the top. These boys don't fit in my old LF show cage.

Charging my battery. I'll cage up my #1 and #2 choices later today.

Does the #3 choice have a roach back or is it just feathering looking like that? If roachback that'd be a serious defect. #4 seems to have a significantly lesser but still there dip before the tail too. Didn't really notice in other shots but very visible here. Good strong color and I think strong heads on both too. Still like the body on the #3 choice other than the possible roach back.

Ok... let's pick these apart... these were 26 weeks old last weekend.
They are at a bad time in feathering right now, but... just curious what folks will do with critiquing what they can see.
I should have penned them... didn't realize how difficult it would be to get good shots when they were loose.

Does the #3 choice have a roach back or is it just feathering looking like that? If roachback that'd be a serious defect. #4 seems to have a significantly lesser but still there dip before the tail too. Didn't really notice in other shots but very visible here. Good strong color and I think strong heads on both too. Still like the body on the #3 choice other than the possible roach back.
He #3 does seem to have that small hump on his back. No matter what angle I took his picture. I appreciate the feed back. It is obvious to me that these four males I kept are strong in some points and weak in others. Trying to learn as much as possible before putting breeding pen #1 together. Everyone has told me it takes a year for this old strain to mature. I had to cull fourteen to four because I couldn't afford to feed them all through the winter.

These next two are my top picks but I really want more feed back from the knowledgeable here. I am a beginner with this breed. Bob started me out last year by private messages and a breeders list that he had and gave me. I chose Ron F. birds because I love their looks and dispositions. Bob and Ron F. told me not to be in a hurry to cull.

#1 choice is on the right. He has been with the layers for four days and was a real pain to catch. (for me and him both) He is riled up and his wings are askew. I had to really struggle to hold on to him and get him in the cage. He would like to take the head off of boy #2 on the left.

#2 choice on the left is alpha cockerel of all others. He crows all day and is the largest of all the males. I keep him in the barn so he remains safe and leaves the hens alone. His comb comes up in back.

All four have good and not so good points. Which should go with my pullets for 2014 is the question.

Ok... let's pick these apart... these were 26 weeks old last weekend.
They are at a bad time in feathering right now, but... just curious what folks will do with critiquing what they can see.
I should have penned them... didn't realize how difficult it would be to get good shots when they were loose.

1 Okay, what I'm going to say is going by my RC. This boy has nice brick shape, nice length and straight back, looks like he will have good tail set, I'm not saying anything about leg color because I know what happens with pictures. Appears to have good wing carriage and is showing good color for coming out of molt. I think he will turn out to be a good one.

2 This boy doesn't seem to have as much length but it could be the picture and the way he was moving. Color I know was from sun or flash. I've had this happen so I know that is what it is

3 Seems to have better length to the comb. Nice width all the way back.

4 The way that this boy is standing, I can't say anything other then he appears to have decent color. Bad picture.

5 Will fill out more with age.

6 Nice looking boy but looks a little narrower in the back end on this picture.

7 Give these two their boxing gloves and let them get it on. ha,ha,ha

8 This boy (going by the picture) looks to need more brick shape and more defined keel. Again, it could be the way he is standing. Seem smaller featured then some.
With knowing the stages that mine went through, I can't really pick any of them apart because they go through so many stages. They all have nice dark color to them, all seem to have good wing carriage. Most are showing good structure and for leg color on all of them I know the camera lightens up the legs, combs and wattles. I think you are going to have a rough time on which ones to keep and which to sell or eat. lol I go through this same thing. If you have room it would be a good idea to hold onto them as long as you can. They really do change from month to month a lot.
Jim

He #3 does seem to have that small hump on his back. No matter what angle I took his picture. I appreciate the feed back. It is obvious to me that these four males I kept are strong in some points and weak in others. Trying to learn as much as possible before putting breeding pen #1 together. Everyone has told me it takes a year for this old strain to mature. I had to cull fourteen to four because I couldn't afford to feed them all through the winter.

These next two are my top picks but I really want more feed back from the knowledgeable here. I am a beginner with this breed. Bob started me out last year by private messages and a breeders list that he had and gave me. I chose Ron F. birds because I love their looks and dispositions. Bob and Ron F. told me not to be in a hurry to cull.

#1 choice is on the right. He has been with the layers for four days and was a real pain to catch. (for me and him both) He is riled up and his wings are askew. I had to really struggle to hold on to him and get him in the cage. He would like to take the head off of boy #2 on the left.

#2 choice on the left is alpha cockerel of all others. He crows all day and is the largest of all the males. I keep him in the barn so he remains safe and leaves the hens alone. His comb comes up in back.

All four have good and not so good points. Which should go with my pullets for 2014 is the question.

From what I see in the pictures I'd be inclined to use your #2 bird if I were using only one of them. I like his top line better & he looks like a more substantial bird. That said, you learn a lot about a bird when it's in your hand so you know these birds better than I do. Judging from pictures leaves a lot to be desired.

Mumsy, the cushion would bother me a lot more than the comb.... jmo.
In the last pic the bird on the right appears to narrow towards the rear noticeably more than the one on the left.
Could be the angle... are they the same two boys as the pic above it?

Yes. In my last post, those two males are the same in each picture. It's hard for me to know which is the best traits for type on each male to start out with. The #2 male has been my first pick since he was young. He is one of those birds that has always stood out from across the barn yard. He is an armful of chicken for sure. I didn't know if his comb should carry more type or his back or his keel. You get the picture. I know there is no such thing as a perfect anything but for my first hatch, I want to use my best male. Weighing and balancing all of the finer details is something I need to learn with them as time goes on.

Looking at them both in this picture head to head, it really jumps out at me that my first instincts about #2 with the white band on the left should be my #1 in the breeding pen. He is only twenty eight weeks old.

Last edited:
Great idea putting them in side by side pens.
I have 4 show pens next to each other in the barn... will have to do that and pull up a chair for a while.
I've just been doing the free range observation thing... I know I am missing things.

Back
Top Bottom