The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

In regards to Rose Combs being poor hatchers or egg layers dont know where this came from. Maybe in commerical hatchery stock but not Standard Breed birds. Heck in cold climates they may be better.
I have LF Rosecomb RIR and they have excellent fertility and in 2012 I had about a 80% hatch rate.

Charlie

These are my plans for the RIR pens:
C79C3A38-05CE-4BDD-BF7A-83B62A705458-186-000000090BD5EA12.jpg

Will these work for them? Is there anything the RIR's need special from other breeds?

Here is a article written by Lester Tompkins in the 1920s on Reds. Look at this male he had way back then. I saw a real picture of this male on the ground taken by Schilling and he looked very good. This is a breed and variety that needs so much help. Every buddy wants the Single Combs but the Rose Combs have always taken the back seat for years.

Even when Harold Tompkins sold his best birds to Bilobern Farms in 1954 300 where Single Comb and 100 where Rose Comb. The picture above is some nice males for this year. They will look better next year as cock birds and their tail angle will come up more with age. They are a hands om lot of Rose Comb that I have seen in years. I hope more will try to take them on and they are fantastic in super super cold climates as you dont have to worry about frozen combs like the Single Combs. They lay well and hatch well just got to find the right vigous strain. bob

Last edited:
Who are you getting them from? I'm ordering some S.C. bantams from Gary Underwood, I already have some from Jerry Powell but I want some more so I can get more pullets and a better rooster.

Corey

I'm getting mine from Duane Urch. I've heard he has some pretty nice RIR's. He breeds both LF RIR in S.C. and R.C., and RIW LF R.C. He only breeds RIR's in Bantams, but in S.C. and R.C. If they don't turn out as nice as I'd like them (I'm getting chicks). Then I'll probably order from a RIR breeder.

Back
Top Bottom