The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Yea I just finished my hen community yesterday. Worked in the pouring off and on rain for the last 4 days to get it done. 6x12 house with 6 6' roosting poles. 32x64 area for them all to roam. The roosters side is the same. But only a 6x6 house. Next on the list are breeder pens. But no rush at the moment for those. Not bad for a 50 yr old man!!
gig.gif
I wish I were 50 again. I have a daughter that will be 47 next month.

Yea I just finished my hen community yesterday. Worked in the pouring off and on rain for the last 4 days to get it done. 6x12 house with 6 6' roosting poles. 32x64 area for them all to roam. The roosters side is the same. But only a 6x6 house. Next on the list are breeder pens. But no rush at the moment for those. Not bad for a 50 yr old man!!
gig.gif

Hey good job!!!! we should start a company!!!

Your right Jeff, I just thought I would help out a few people get birds before I retire from selling. That day is rapidly approaching...

So you're saying that if anybody wants to get stock directly from you then they better step up and get they foot in the door, soon.? LOL

I imagine you have quite the work load for sure and you have done your part in getting good Reds spread far and wide and in good hands to keep them up where they are meant to be. Good job I appreciate it and I'm sure quite a few others do too.

Jeff

Your right Jeff, I just thought I would help out a few people get birds before I retire from selling. That day is rapidly approaching...
HOLY CRAP I WILL HAVE TO START BREEDING AGAIN TO PROVIDE MOHAWKS TO YOU NEW GUYS. LET ME TELL YOU ITS A PAIN IN THE BUTT TO DO THIS.

NO MONEY IN IT AND PUTTING UP WITH THE PUBLIC IS NOT FUN.

I THINK THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF SUB STRAINS WHO DONT WANT TO SHOW AND CAN SELL EGGS AND CHICKS NEXT YEAR. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO BE ABLE TO PACK THESE EGGS AND SHIP THEM SO THEY WILL HATCH AND ALSO BE ABLE TO HATCH TEN CHICKS AND PUT THEM IN A OVER NIGHT SHIPPING BOX AND TAKE THEM TO THE POST OFFICE FOR THE BEGINNERS. IF YOU LEARN HOW TO DO THIS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PROVIDE A GREAT SERVICE TO THOSE WHO WANT THE OLD FASHION RHODE ISLAND RED.

WILL WORK ON SOME ARCTILCES ON HOW TO SHIP EGGS AND CHICKS THIS FALL AND PUBLISH THEM SO OTHERS CAN READ. THERE IS A RIGHT WAY AND A WRONG WAY AND THE BUYER DESERVES THE CORRECT WAY EVEN IF IT COST TEN DOLLARS MORE. BOB

I haven't put any pictures of these birds on here since they were just babies. These are Matt"s birds that I got in April. I just had to post a couple of these pictures to show the color of the legs/feet of these guys. I don't think that I have ever seen any darker horn color on any birds that I've ever had then what is on these birds. I will try and get some really good pictures of these when it cools down a little. Hey Bob, this is another project. These are 15 weeks old.

look at the leg color on the bottom picture. I saw this out of the corner of my eye when I saw the picture. This is the correct leg color. All this yellow leg color is for the lighter strains of reds in my view. When your large fowl Reds are ten months old you want the under color to be so dark it burns your fingers when you look at the color the old boys use to say. You want the quills to be black and the finish on the surface a shinny dark hue. In fact the ideal strain is a half a hour before sun down there is a vermillion hue to the color. You cant get this if you have pretty yellow legs showing up. This leg color is to be used wisely. In order to get a complete Rhode Island Red and one that will molt back at two and three years old to look even in color they got to be dark. Jimmy love the pictures and enjoy the experiment with all your strains of Reds you have. You are the only one I know of who has done this in 50 years or more.

I got three females and one ckl that I got to take to Anthony that are half and half's and I got to look at their quill color today as they are about five months old. Should be black quills

look at the leg color on the bottom picture. I saw this out of the corner of my eye when I saw the picture. This is the correct leg color. All this yellow leg color is for the lighter strains of reds in my view. When your large fowl Reds are ten months old you want the under color to be so dark it burns your fingers when you look at the color the old boys use to say. You want the quills to be black and the finish on the surface a shinny dark hue. In fact the ideal strain is a half a hour before sun down there is a vermillion hue to the color. You cant get this if you have pretty yellow legs showing up. This leg color is to be used wisely. In order to get a complete Rhode Island Red and one that will molt back at two and three years old to look even in color they got to be dark. Jimmy love the pictures and enjoy the experiment with all your strains of Reds you have. You are the only one I know of who has done this in 50 years or more.

I got three females and one ckl that I got to take to Anthony that are half and half's and I got to look at their quill color today as they are about five months old. Should be black quills
I knew that you would love seeing this dark horn Bob. Really, I was a little taken when I saw those two together and showing that much dark horn. It was about 8:30 PM so no sun making glare. The only thing that lightened them up a little was the flash of the camera.
I am so looking forward to being able to work with this line. I am 100% satisfied with my Nelson and Underwood's and I truly do feel that Matt's are going to fit right in with what I'm wanting to do. I feel so proud and honored to have these 3 lines of RIR.
Jim

My Ron Fogle shipped chicks are now sixteen weeks. The hatched egg chicks are twelve weeks. Nice birds and I enjoy watching them everyday.
Twelve week old pullet.

Sixteen week old cockerel.

Another twelve week old. I like the dark beak. The dark feathers. The dark horn on the legs, the beefiness of the birds even though they are still very young. I like this strain a lot.

A twelve week old pullet on the move. Hard to get pictures today. It's pretty warm out and they want into the shade.

Last edited:
I never thought id be this excited about legs before......especially on chickens lol
droolin.gif
gig.gif

Aldo....

Thats right get to breeding people I want to buy MANY as soon as they are available lol I SO appreciate ya'lls hard work :)

Back
Top Bottom