The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
Bob I think I found that site, very nice birds!

If you get a chance could you post the site address for our friends?

I could write a book about Gary Underwood. I spent a night and and a half a day with him when I lived in Wisconsin at his home and he gave me free five dozen eggs. He is the number one on the list of my mentors in breeding R I Reds . His father George sent me my first Rhode Island Red Large fowl as a 12 year old boy. The trio and the shipping of these birds in a wooden box on Rail Way Express from Custer Park Illinois to Centralia Washington took four days. Total cost to a junior? $25. do you see why I want to help people learn how to breed Rhode Island Reds. It was fellows like George Underwood who helped me out and he told me you must latter help others to pay me back for helping you.
I hope I have made him proud. He was one of the greatest color breeders of Rhode Island Reds that ever lived. bob

http://www.freewebs.com/tenstrike123/poultry.htm Great story Bob.

Hello, I started out having chickens in September because of an obsession my 12yo. son with special needs(tourette syndrome & asbergers) has with them. Well now we all just LOVE them. When we bought our pullets they were all 4 weeks old. I bought them from a man, who lives about an hour outside of San Antonio so I dont know if he is considered a breeder or not or if he cares about what hes breeding, but my son now wants to show his RIR in a fair one day, but I really dont know if this is a good quality girl or not? All 4 of the girls are super sweet, we hold them, hand feed them, we are just all addicted to chickens now! lol After reading months and months of posts, I have decided I want to hatch a heritage RIR, but a good quality one! Any info & critiques will be helpful, before September I had never even seen a live chicken lol!! Thank You!!

Here is our RIR
68748_rir3.jpg

68748_rir2.jpg

68748_rir1.jpg

68748_rir4.jpg

If you would like to show some Rhode Island Reds Roy Autery from Arkansas would be my choice.. It is very hard to get hatching eggs from breeders and he only lives a little ways down the Road. There is a breeder in the Forth Worth Area you could get some from as well. So there are some choices not to far from you. I don't know anyone in your back yard the has Standard R I Reds. Yours are production reds and look and perform to their breeding. bob

Last edited:
Thank You, I suspected they were production, but figured since they were not from a hatchery maybe we would have gotten lucky without knowing it!! lol We still love them, just want to raise a couple for show. Thank You very much for your time, names, and info.

Quote:
If you get a chance could you post the site address for our friends?

I could write a book about Gary Underwood. I spent a night and and a half a day with him when I lived in Wisconsin at his home and he gave me free five dozen eggs. He is the number one on the list of my mentors in breeding R I Reds . His father George sent me my first Rhode Island Red Large fowl as a 12 year old boy. The trio and the shipping of these birds in a wooden box on Rail Way Express from Custer Park Illinois to Centralia Washington took four days. Total cost to a junior? $25. do you see why I want to help people learn how to breed Rhode Island Reds. It was fellows like George Underwood who helped me out and he told me you must latter help others to pay me back for helping you.
I hope I have made him proud. He was one of the greatest color breeders of Rhode Island Reds that ever lived. bob

http://www.freewebs.com/tenstrike123/poultry.htm Great story Bob.

TEN STRIKE RANCH 1233 N. Franklin St. Galena, IL 61036

http://www.freewebs.com/tenstrike123/poultry.htm

Check out this site for R I Reds. They advertise in the Poutlry Press and have Rose Combs as well as Single Combs. bob

Quote:
Only in my head. They where very good as I got some eggs from Gary about 24 years ago when I lived in Wisconsin.

I think the lady that has his strain today has still good ones. You have to understand Rose Comb Reds are hard to find and they are most of the time one to two points down in quality of the Single Combs. It is very rare maybe one year out of ten that a Rose Comb ever gets best of breed at major shows. Why people just will not put the work into them like the single combs I just dont know. Even fifty years ago there where rare and only maybe one breeder out of fifty breed them. No one has ever dominated in Rose Combs when showing agaist Single Comb Large fowl. There has been a few Rose Comb bantams breeders who have done well and won and beat single combs but not in large fowl.

I often wonder why new folks are so worried about having single comb birds in the north. They are so affraid of the frezzing of the combs. Of all the Heritage breeds most of them come from the North and these breeders did not have problems with them.

I think that many beginners are making way to much out of the rose comb better for thier climate than a single comb.

My single comb reds are in Illinios and they have done well in the past ten years. Just wanted to mention this when people read these threads.

If you want a breed and you want to try to help bring it back up in quallity pick a breed that has a chance to get to this level. Dont pick the breed by the color of the egg or the picture of the bird in the catalog.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom