The History of 'APRONS'

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
A friend sent me this and I really enjoyed it; thought I'd share.

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.

Now, her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from an Apron.

Betty, that was beautiful and brought back so many memories of my own dear mother who always wore an apron. She made a lot of them herself. I have a box full of hers that I asked for when she passed away 21 years ago. Those and her little plastic tri-cornered box of hankies. I gave one to each of the girls in the family at her wake and selfishly kept the rest for myself. Remember making hanky dolls in church to keep the little ones quiet?

Thank you for sharing.

Susan

I LOVE APRONS! I'm 42 and just love the 50's stuff! I can't wait to find that perfect little old farmhouse where I can have a vintage stove, and aqua blue and yellow everywhere! I also want an aqua blue or pink refrigerator and washer and dryer!
tongue.png

That was great! Unfortunately I never did have one of those Grandmas
tongue.png
Mine is a partying, boozin fun-lovin, age-lying kind of Grandma
wink.png
LOL She's a breed all her own
tongue.png
lau.gif

But I plan to be a Grandma like that
big_smile.png
I just need me some nice aprons
wink.png
Of course... not for a long time yet...as I don't want to be a G'ma anytime soon!
th.gif
My oldest is only 14!
gig.gif

Quote:
chickfillhay ~ I'm the same age and, like you, adore the retro things! My dh jokingly calls me "Mrs Cunnhingham" after the mom on "Happy Days" tv series. I swear I was born in the wrong decade. lol

I've seen this article before and just love it!

I love aprons, too.

I didn't have a Grandma like "that" either, but hope I am one like this when my kids are grown.

frow.gif
Thank you, I enjoyed that.
I love my aprons. Most of the time I wear them to protect my clothes, but I just don't hardly feel dressed until I tie on an apron. I have two favorites.
My daughter begged for an apron of her own when she was little, now she put's that one on her babydolls, and wears mine tied twice...
smile.png

Quote:
chickfillhay ~ I'm the same age and, like you, adore the retro things! My dh jokingly calls me "Mrs Cunnhingham" after the mom on "Happy Days" tv series. I swear I was born in the wrong decade. lol

OMG! My twin sister and I say the same thing all the time!!!The only thing we don't like about the past is the higene thing. Other than that this is not our era. Although I did love the 80's!
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif
HEY! HOW ABOUT AN APRON SWAP???
thumbsup.gif

I'm 23 and my Mum just can't seem to get why I collect vintage/retro aprons. I love 'em! They have history and the ones I have are just down right fun! I've used ones that matched (well not necessarily 'matched' but the same-ish color scheme) as valences in my kitchen and bathroom.

I agree with loving everything retro. I just bought my first home and the kitchen is getting a coat of beautiful vibrant blue this weekend and hopefully and wicked cool 1950's stainless and formica table.

Last edited:
frow.gif
HEY! You might want to look into a hoosier cabinet and what I call a baker's table. .It's the enamal top table with four wood chairs. It isn't big but usually has two leaves that fold out from under it. I have one with a beautiful black and white design on it. It was given to me for my frst apt. by my neighbor who bought it back in the day when it was brand new. I still have it today. Now I want a hoosier cabinet to go with it!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom