The home i am copying for my birds has a window in the coop ?

Quote:
They were trampled on in the rush to the pub !
wink.png

I, myself like the windows. I like it better if they can open. My question to all of you are...... where do you get these small windows? and/or do you make them. If you make them how do you do it? I make my own coops but have yet to put windows in. I'm on a very tight budget so if I can make them more power to me....... lol. As for a skylight? No for me. You have to worry about leakage and a chicken spending time on top of it. Crazy things would happen to me so I will avoid that one.

My coop for standard/LFs has a skylight. I adore it and many of the chickens appear to like it, as they like to roost up near the skylight whenever possible. The cochins, however, cannot perch up there given their weight.

My bantam barn has 4 windows and while they do the coop bright with sunshine, its also created some odd situations. Our little Sizzle cockerel likes to eye us all via the windows and screech at Big Blue, the cochin rooster (who is allowed to free range). He's gone crazy attacking the windows trying to get to Big Blue. He doesn't do this when in his pen, just the coop.

While the whole thing is crazy and humorous on some level, its also a bit alarming. Reconsidering the window design, I'd have put them higher up or just gone with skylights so he cannot see the other chickens.

Also, whenever the security lights pop on due to movement, the bantam cockerel crows at all hours of the night! That's likely a placement issue, but considering the chickens' reaction to sunlight or any light that may come in those windows is something you need to plan for.

Mine has two large windows and a roof made of tinted wavy plexiglass something or other that let's in a ton of light without the heat. Of course it has a foot of snow covering it right now.

Sorry, meant to mention that my one large window is just plexiglass with chicken wire to deter the wild birds from flying into it. In our old coop we used windows somebody salvaged from an old shed that was taken down.

I have 3 windows in my main coop. I cut holes in the walls, secured hardware cloth over them, and during the winter I place plexiglas cut to the size of the openings on the inside of the hardware cloth.

I have a couple of salvage windows (found along side the road with "free" sign on them) I plan to put them in my coop backwards, so I can open them from outside of the coop...hardware cloth on the inside to keep the predetors out. My thinking? I can open the windows for them on my way out the driveway without worrying about poopy shoes when I get in the car.

We got a good deal on plain windows that are simply glass in a frame. They do have a decorative wood grid on them, although I forgot what it's called. I think they look nice.

We framed a hole to size and attached them with hinges and latches, on the outside. Three have the hinges at the bottom and hang down when open. The two big ones that take up most of a wall swing out like shutters. The inside has 1/2" hardware cloth over it, attached with screws and washers. There's window screen over that, as the skeeters here are horrendous.

I'm looking for some small windows. The type that are used in playhouses. I can't seem to find them anywhere. Maybe I should check the junk yards for window in old trailer homes and such. I do not know how to make window. I would be happy with a small pain of glass with a wood frame where I could put hinges on it in order to open them in the summer time.

AFter pricing windows for mobile homes and RV's, my DH formulated windows from a nice flat side of a plastic storage bin and 1x2's cut as frames.

60454_img_1814.jpg

60454_final_coat_done.jpg

They are made out of cedar that was left over from our siding. Once they have weathered over the winter, I'm going to paint them green to match the trim on the metal building we adapted. We were learning as we went along. He built a frame sandwiching the metal siding (build to fit the windows) as a window frame, and then inset the window with hinges at the top. I'm not sure how I'll keep it open because the roof of the building is too close to the hinge to use and pulley system like I planned. oops. Worse case scenario, we can put the hinges on the bottom, but I kind of wanted to use the window to shade from rain in the spring. It has hardware cloth stapled to the inside of the frame (the top and bottom are 2x4 support timbers inside the coop.

It gets really hot here in the summer, so we put one window on the south (along with the pop-door), one on the east and one on the west. The people door is on the north, and I'm thinking about a really secure screen door for that opening this summer.

Back
Top Bottom