The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
I’m afraid this year may be a bust for me. We all know they return to familiar places. Year after year I’ve hung a red tablecloth on the clothesline in late March, along with a scout feeder. But this fall we built a new house on our lot, with a totally different configuration from the old single wide mobile home we did have. And I have no clothesline so I’m going to have to get creative. We have no lawn, no flowers…just bare dirt from all the construction surrounding the new house.

I did demand (and get) a decent front porch with amazing views of the Big Horn Mountains, but there’s no wood on it screw in a hook for my main feeder. Oh, there are rafters for the roof, but I hesitate to screw through the vinyl ceiling covering them. Looks like there will be a lot of shepherd’s hooks surrounding the porch if I want to hang plants and feeders.

@Blooie - I bet you'd be surprised! Find yourself a double shepherd's hook stake, and on one side hang that cloth (if it's too big, I use a bandana, or you can use ribbon) and on the other hang the feeder. I bet if you put it out in a visible part of the yard, they will come! If you can find another double hook, find some potted flowers they may like? You can do it!

Take good care of them and they will always remember you for doing so ♥️
3BA857BE-D6C7-49FF-85A6-B7267D04CDC0.jpeg

Oh, I’ll do it! Like I said, I’ll just have to get creative. The big issue is the layout. We had a skinny 10x60 mobile home. The short side ran north/south, the long side ran east/west. Now we have a 29x84 house. The layout is just the opposite. We have very little actual land left. I have ginormous trees and I can use the branches on them.

Take good care of them and they will always remember you for doing so ♥️ View attachment 3002082
I take such good care of them that my yard was certified by the National Wildlife Federation as an official Wildlife Habitat, just because I have so many of them, and so many varieties. :lau

But I’ve been doing this for so many years now that I also know they are a little like chickens…..they don’t like change. When we first built a deck on our old trailer house in 2005, it took a full season for them to come back. This new place - the layout, the lack of lawn, no flower beds - that’s gonna shock ‘em at first.

We went from this…….
9E9940F5-E530-42CD-89C0-044131D47332.jpeg

…to this, all while they were off on their southern migration:
3DFC95BE-D25B-47B7-AD8F-DDF2BB32068B.jpeg

I take such good care of them that my yard was certified by the National Wildlife Federation as an official Wildlife Habitat, just because I have so many of them, and so many varieties. :lau

But I’ve been doing this for so many years now that I also know they are a little like chickens…..they don’t like change. When we first built a deck on our old trailer house in 2005, it took a full season for them to come back. This new place - the layout, the lack of lawn, no flower beds - that’s gonna shock ‘em at first.

We went from this…….
View attachment 3002097

…to this, all while they were off on their southern migration:
View attachment 3002100
I’m sure they will still recognize you and the feeding stations. It might take a little while for them to get used to any changes but they’ll come back around once they realize.

Back
Top Bottom