The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Single barred chocolate cuckoo male x solid chocolate female = 50% of the offspring being chocolate cuckoo, and the other 50% being chocolate.
All chocolate cuckoo will be Single barred just like the father

You can have both Single and double barred birds, but 99% of the chocolate cuckoos I've seen have been single barred.

Hi there not sure if this is the right place to post, but my 15 strong orpington flock was DEVESTATED by a dog last week! :( I lost 9 birds in total! Needless to say it won't happen again... But I am left with my silver laced roo a gold laced bantam and 2 buff hens. What would the colour combo be of any chicks from the silver laced over the buff? Many thanks for any input :)

This might be another silly question but are cuckoo chocolates considered single or double Barred?

HI Launi, I have complied some really good information on my website on the amazing cuckoo gene, to lengthy to post here. But in answer to that question, only roosters can be double barred but they can also be single barred depending on how many copies of the barring gene they carrie. Hens only carry one copy of the barring gene. The double barred rooster will appear lighter than the single barred rooster. Many people refer to the black double barred roosters as gray or silver, they are in fact black, just double barred, making the white cover 2/3 of their body where single barred white covers only 50%.

Even a double barred rooster when bred to a solid female will only produce single barring, on males and females. There is lots more information on this gene and how it works but too much to post here. Our website is listed in our signature if you'd like to learn more.
Good luck,
Nellie

Hi there not sure if this is the right place to post, but my 15 strong orpington flock was DEVESTATED by a dog last week!
sad.png
I lost 9 birds in total! Needless to say it won't happen again... But I am left with my silver laced roo a gold laced bantam and 2 buff hens. What would the colour combo be of any chicks from the silver laced over the buff? Many thanks for any input
smile.png

I am so sorry for your loss.
hit.gif
I guess the question would be what would you be breeding towards? If you want to build your flock back up for pretty yard candy or laying then the cross would be fine. If you are going to try to get back to pure bred birds I wouldn't do it. It is very difficult to eliminate the yellow/orange on the silver laced birds once you cross outside the white. It is always uncertain what the result will be when crossing to a buff. (in my unprofessional opinion)
Good luck!

Single barred chocolate cuckoo male x solid chocolate female = 50% of the offspring being chocolate cuckoo, and the other 50% being chocolate.
All chocolate cuckoo will be Single barred just like the father

You can have both Single and double barred birds, but 99% of the chocolate cuckoos I've seen have been single barred.
Thanks Bryce :)

I am so sorry for your loss. :hit
I guess the question would be what would you be breeding towards?  If you want to build your flock back up for pretty yard candy or laying then the cross would be fine.  If you are going to try to get back to pure bred birds I wouldn't do it.  It is very difficult to eliminate the yellow/orange on the silver laced birds once you cross outside the white.  It is always uncertain what the result will be when crossing to a buff. (in my unprofessional opinion)
Good luck!

Thanks for getting back to me :) I wasn't intending to breed back to solids I'm buying some fertile eggs to regain my solids back, I was just wondering if the colour cross would be a pleasant one? Or if I'd end up with perculiar patchy hens? I'd like to hatch some off from the original flock for posterity's sake if the colour outcome would be nice to look at :))

Back
Top Bottom