The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

All the babies are so cute! I was outside for over eight hours in 100 degree weather yesterday. It was absolutely miserable. I hated it. lol

I did get a new juvenile pen built and some birds moved around. Turkey poults and SLO that were inside are outside now (the Seramas stayed inside) and the Muscovy ducklings moved out to the new juvenile pen. The bigger babies now have a huge pen to run around in, although I am definitely going to need to get some trees planted there in the fall. There's not enough shade for my liking.

I definitely wallowed in the kiddie pool after cleaning it and let the baby ducks play. They'd lounge on me and preen and then hop in for another little bathing section. They were super cute chasing bugs through the grass. I'll have to get some nice pictures today after work, there simply wasn't any time yesterday. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

Silver laced orpingtons (2 more are drying out in incubator) One in back is the reg black laced and the front 3 are from my blue SLO project

IMG_5004 (2).jpg

IMG_4997 (2).jpg

Some Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (hatched from @homeschoolin momma 's flock)

IMG_5019 (2).jpg

IMG_5023 (2).jpg

They are adorable! I can not wait to get some project blue chicks from the first cross back onto my Silver-laced. I still need to talk you out of some eggs...lol

I'm going to have to get some pictures of the two hideous Lavender Silver-laced. I keep going back and forth on whether it is two cockerels or a pair. I've decided the minute it cools off, i'm planning on ordering another set and having them shipped straight to me.

I need to move birds around again, and have been absolutely dreading it. I think I'm going to have to wait for the juvenile birds to get older first though. I grabbed some pictures of the new pen/set up, so I'll have to post those from my phone in a bit.

I still need to talk you out of some eggs...lol
I'm finally getting some fertile SLO eggs..... but not as many as planned. If I'm lucky I'll get 50%. Out of 8 eggs set, I've been getting only 2-4 chicks. The ones that don't hatch are just clear. I just set another 12 eggs two days ago. Let's hope the fertility increases. Since shipped eggs already have a low hatch rate, I want to make sure they're at least fertile on this end. It's got to be worth the cost of shipping.

I never shipped eggs before but I'd be willing to try it for a trade (whenever, I have something worth trading. LOL)

I'm going to have to get some pictures of the two hideous Lavender Silver-laced. I keep going back and forth on whether it is two cockerels or a pair. I've decided the minute it cools off, i'm planning on ordering another set and having them shipped straight to me.
I'd love to see the laced lavs. If the feathering is slow growing and awkward, there's a good chance of male.
@homeschoolin momma has a bunch of awkward little orps running around and my guess is they're all males. Unbelievable the odds of that, so I hope I'm wrong. (Especially about the gold laced chick, who is likely Taji x Blizzard's offspring) On the bright side, @homeschoolin momma has a magnificent black/lav split pullet. Every time I see her, she's grown more beautiful! If you can, post a pic of that black beauty

Colt, If you have the ability to buy laced lavs from someone else's work, go for it. It takes generations to get a project going, so building from that saves you time - not to mention all the culling.

My 7 week old silver laced English Orpington pullet, Lacey (kids named her🤣), as a chick and more recently. She is the only one that hatched out of 7 eggs I bought from a breeder. She is very laid back and does not get involved in chicken politics and just does her own thing.
She also lets the other chicks snuggle under her gorgeous feather apron at night.
She is awesome and I am looking forward to watching her develop.:)
9790C82D-BA9A-4CEC-BC29-2E9DD1667C8D.jpeg
0FF6D126-F2E5-4329-B357-1545FAA47ECD.jpeg
9E1C644D-31D6-4858-A506-31FA3285DEF6.jpeg

My 7 week old silver laced English Orpington pullet, Lacey (kids named her🤣), as a chick and more recently. She is the only one that hatched out of 7 eggs I bought from a breeder. She is very laid back and does not get involved in chicken politics and just does her own thing.
She also lets the other chicks snuggle under her gorgeous feather apron at night.
She is awesome and I am looking forward to watching her develop.:)View attachment 2299281View attachment 2299282View attachment 2299283
I think you'll grow to love Lacey even more as she grows. The laced orps are not only beautiful, but so sweet.

Every time I see her, she's grown more beautiful! If you can, post a pic of that black beauty
As requested....

20200822_092249.jpg
20200822_092238.jpg
20200822_125333.jpg
20200822_102640.jpg
20200822_125335.jpg
20200822_125422.jpg

As you can see from one picture,she is extremely curious. Doesn't liked to be picked up and held, but loves to get in your face, look at your phone, look in your pockets, etc.

She doesnt have a name yet. @Farady40 suggested beauty, princess, and Cinderella. Any other suggestions?

Its been a hard long week for me. I started back at work this week working up to 8 hours a day. I finished the weeding at the church, mowed the lawn, did orientation for the little kids school. Been getting up around 4:30am every morning. Wednesday was the hardest when I opened the coop and my big beautiful sweet boy Taji was lying in front of the door, dead. His comb, wattles and face were purple. The only indication he gave me that something wasnt right was that he didnt go to perch the night before. He had settled down right in front of the door. I gently nudged him inside, gave him a couple of pats and chest rubs and told him to go perch with his girls. 8 hours later.he was gone. I really miss him. He was the bomb of chickens so to speak. He's the one that alerted me to the spitzie girl being attacke the week prior. He saved her life. (Her name is now Miracle) Theres like an empty hole......

Went ahead and did a deep clean on my big coop. Im so tired of these teeny black bugs. They are all over the waterers in the coops. I spray and two days later they are back. They even nasty up the water on the inside of the coolers! I stripped it, scrubbed the wood floors, sucked it all up with the wet vac and sprayed everything. I hate using any chemicals, buts these things need to go!

Back
Top Bottom