The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Hi, I am new to orpingtons but have had other breeds for many years and thought I would try to get some information here about the jubilee pattern. I read that it came from crossing speckled sussex and english orpington so my question is as a project I need to know what color of orpington would be best to start with? Any thoughts or suggestions would really help. I know I can buy them also but wanted to try my hand at doing some breeding myself. Thanks

As for egg laying, I have the solution. I had to cull a rooster a few days ago and that very day, every layer I have laid an egg. Every since that day, all but one will lay. I must have scared the Hell out of them ! :gig

No egg's, is a direct reflection of global warming...............

or it might be some kind of community organization for union's

or maybe...................

John
old.gif

Hi Everyone,

My experience so far is that when you provide more hours of light a day, they start laying after let's say 2 weeks. My lights go on at 5 am and out at 9.30 pm. It really helps. A little bulb of 25 watts will do the job.
Good luck,

Marc

Hi Everyone,

My experience so far is that when you provide more hours of light a day, they start laying after let's say 2 weeks. My lights go on at 5 am and out at 9.30 pm. It really helps. A little bulb of 25 watts will do the job.
Good luck,

Marc
Yes, this is what I have always heard, too. I don't do lights. I figure that the girls need a break in the winter, so I stick with how Mother Nature intended
thumbsup.gif

None of my birds started laying until they were 8 1/2 - 9 months old.

You have to remember, you can't expect the same kind of production from these English Orpingtons that you can from their American counterparts. They just haven't been bred to crank out eggs like their cousins have. They take longer to mature and reach point of lay.

Once they do start laying they give you eggs pretty consistently. I typically collected 5 - 6 eggs every day last year from my hens. Well, until they started to go broody. :lol:

These birds definitely aren't for someone who just got into the breed to make a quick buck by selling chicks and hatching eggs.

Yes, this is what I have always heard, too.  I don't do lights.  I figure that the girls need a break in the winter, so I stick with how Mother Nature intended :thumbsup

I tried doing the light thing just recently with my Sumatras... I had them under lights in their breeding pen for almost a month and I didn't get a single egg. Then what happens? A week later, after turning off the lights, one of my girls started to give me eggs... :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it won't necessarily work for Orps, but I've decided that if my birds want to rest during the winter, then so be it.

I have automated lights and heat when it get a little too cold...... nothing. I think I need to move the birds to the yard and let them take on survivor mode. )

Hi Everyone,

Good luck,

Marc

Back
Top Bottom