The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Doing pretty good Joy :) Doing some remodeling in the house while Brad has time off. This has been the strangous winter I have ever seen up here... Not much snow... but lots of ice to deal with. Sending my big Nigerian doe out to my friend Brenda. She will put Brownie in with one of her bucks until she comes into season and is bred. I haven't had goats long enough to be able to tell when one is in season.. Oh well.. I will figure it out :)
My English line Orps are laying alot better than my buffs.. I ain't complaining mind you ")

Have you all noticed that it seems the personality of these English Orp's are almost childish. I really have to laugh at my pullet. When I go down in the basement, where they are, she sees me coming and takes off running from one end of the pen to the other and puts her chest down almost on the floor and her big fuzzy butt up in the air like she is going to charge me. She sure can make me laugh. The boy just stands and looks at her like she is a little off. lol Gotta love these silly chickens.
Jimmy

Last edited:
One thing I have noticed about the English orps is they look alot like cochins without feathered legs. Is this due to the English standard or are they just crossing them back to cochins to get all the feathers on a bird that originally never had as much plumage? The real old orpington descriptions I have read about does not seem to reflect what is being imported in to the U.S. JMO's.

Doing pretty good Joy :) Doing some remodeling in the house while Brad has time off. This has been the strangous winter I have ever seen up here... Not much snow... but lots of ice to deal with. Sending my big Nigerian doe out to my friend Brenda. She will put Brownie in with one of her bucks until she comes into season and is bred. I haven't had goats long enough to be able to tell when one is in season.. Oh well.. I will figure it out :)
My English line Orps are laying alot better than my buffs.. I ain't complaining mind you ")

Good to hear Renie. I figure you've been busy with your daughter and grandbaby living up there near you now. We've had some strange winter weather to, in that we haven't really had any. We have had a couple of days of cold weather, but it's been very mild. Supposed to be in the 60s today. We have had a couple of very light snow dustingss, but it was gone in an hour. Keep me posted on your goats - would love to see pictures !!

My girls are not laying at all !! They started again, then just quit. Even Goldie isn't cooperating. You need to send some of your English beauties down this way to me !!

Have you all noticed that it seems the personality of these English Orp's are almost childish. I really have to laugh at my pullet. When I go down in the basement, where they are, she sees me coming and takes off running from one end of the pen to the other and puts her chest down almost on the floor and her big fuzzy butt up in the air like she is going to charge me. She sure can make me laugh. The boy just stands and looks at her like she is a little off. lol Gotta love these silly chickens.
Jimmy

Jimmy - YES - they are very childish. They definitely have more personality than any of the other birds I have had. Mine want attention ALL THE TIME !! They do anything to get it. Winston is the worst. Matilda is my comic of the bunch. She has the most silly antics. I get tickled at them and just sit and watch them and laugh. I just love these English Orps - nothing like them in my opinion
love.gif

Last edited:
I have been told I have 2 different types of English Orps & I do find that all of them are very docile. The Buffs I have from the Terry Brit line are huge but tighter feathered than my other ones & quietly back off when I enter their pen but are not at all flighty. The Splash cockerel & Blue pullet I have from Jeremy in Oakland came from Justus I believe & they are almost friendly. When I open the pen door the cockerel walks quietly up to me & lets me touch him & she is standing just behind him. I think I am really going to get attached to these guys.

I have been told I have 2 different types of English Orps & I do find that all of them are very docile. The Buffs I have from the Terry Brit line are huge but tighter feathered than my other ones & quietly back off when I enter their pen but are not at all flighty. The Splash cockerel & Blue pullet I have from Jeremy in Oakland came from Justus I believe & they are almost friendly. When I open the pen door the cockerel walks quietly up to me & lets me touch him & she is standing just behind him. I think I am really going to get attached to these guys.

I read where you have Buff and Splash and Blue Orps. I know the Blue and Splash Orps are English, but I"m wondering what other Orps you have that are English? I think that Marc has English Buffs - not sure if anybody else has them or not, but I don't think they do.

They will get friendlier as they get older. You will get really attached and just love them !!

UUUGGG dang site logged me out AGAIN!!! Don't know if it is because I am using my laptop at my daughters house or what. That might be the difference.. who knows but I find it very annoying ... specially since I couldn't remember my PW.. had to wait nearly an hour for the change PW email to arrive...:(
I wish you lived closer... then I could just drive some over to you ;)

UUUGGG dang site logged me out AGAIN!!!   Don't know if it is because I am using my laptop at my daughters house or what.  That might be the difference.. who knows but I find it very annoying ... specially since I couldn't remember my PW.. had to wait nearly an hour for the change PW email to arrive...:(
I wish you lived closer... then I could just drive some over to you ;)

I wish I lived closer to Joy, too! She would probably have to put a guest bed out in the barn though for me, I have a feeling I might be a frequent visitor. :p

Sound good Joy?

you know the english orp is kind of the chicken lovers chicken. i dont really mind the lower egg numbers. they are just delightful in every way. they are not that bad as i thought but did scare me with the late start of laying. i also have world record holders th australorps. they oddly lay a larger egg than the blk orps who are quite a bit bigger. they are just so good looking and comical that i just want many more this year' going toj start shopping the breeders inhere pretty soon for some show blacks to add to my small collection of birds to show around NE

have one pretty much lined up hopin they are plannin a road trip '.

Back
Top Bottom