The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Thanks Roger. I have been trying to hatch between 12 to 14 and see if I like what each pairing produces. If I do then I can go back and hatch more from the cross I used.  It is slow having one hen per Cock as you only get about 4 to 5 eggs a week and sometimes a few more but I would just set eggs for three weeks and add the chicks to the rest of them as they hatched after they had their time in the house in the Mud room/laundry room. It is off my dining area and I love hearing them chicks. I get to spend time with them talking and gving them treats

They are looking great. The lacing on the darker girls is wonderful. Looks like this cross is working so far!

Good morning everyone, I just wanted to drop by and say hi. I read the thread, but don't often comment. I just wanted to share a few photos of my first broody, "Big Mamma." I love watching her with the babies.

Reniespeeps, here is the one of the cute little splash babies I got from you! I can't wait to watch them grow!

Big Mamma is recovering from a comb injure this past winter. She has lost a little weight while being broody. Any advice for helping her put weigh back on is welcome.

This blue girl in this pic is a good color out of this particular cross. I only hatched 12 chicks from this pair. I may put the Splash back in and hatch a few more. I like her. she is 9 weeks old this week
100_4649_zps53a75793.jpg
The chicks in this pen vary in ages but are all out of same pair except for a few choco in the pen Here is one of the splash girls. 8 weeks old. She looks like a ball with a head in the middle
100_4650_zpsd8f8674a.jpg
Here are two of the darker girls. The youngest one is 6 weeks. I showed yall a pic of a few weeks back and she has really grown. Nothing but fluff ball. Funny thing is i hatched six blue pullets and no blue boys. I hatched splash cockerels about half. I sent one of those and dark blue to a young lady in 4H who is trying to get started showing.
100_4647_zpsd3367330.jpg
They are gorgeous! I think the dark blues are my favourite.

This blue girl in this pic is a good color out of this particular cross. I only hatched 12 chicks from this pair. I may put the Splash back in and hatch a few more. I like her. she is 9 weeks old this week
100_4649_zps53a75793.jpg
The chicks in this pen vary in ages but are all out of same pair except for a few choco in the pen
Here is one of the splash girls. 8 weeks old. She looks like a ball with a head in the middle
100_4650_zpsd8f8674a.jpg

Here are two of the darker girls. The youngest one is 6 weeks. I showed yall a pic of a few weeks back and she has really grown. Nothing but fluff ball. Funny thing is i hatched six blue pullets and no blue boys. I hatched splash cockerels about half. I sent one of those and dark blue to a young lady in 4H who is trying to get started showing.
100_4647_zpsd3367330.jpg
Pretty round babies ! My coops are knee deep in feathers too. I rake up a 5 gallon bucket full every morning from the pens. I think the babies blow a lot more baby feathers at one time in the spring. That would make sense. They need those feathers in the fall/ winter. Anybody else notice this ?

I do not get many feathers here till much later, so, yes that makes sense. It is still a bit cold for baby's to blow feathers. It still freezes at night. Those Orp's are busting open the door as soon as my hand hits the door handle no matter how cold it is out in the morning. They loves the cold!

I do not get many feathers here till much later, so, yes that makes sense. It is still a bit cold for baby's to blow feathers. It still freezes at night. Those Orp's are busting open the door as soon as my hand hits the door handle no matter how cold it is out in the morning. They loves the cold!
We're having a high of 43 here today with wind and rain. By the weekend we will be in the 80s. We're all hoping for a cooler summer this year! I guess Mother Nature knows when it's time to get rid of the long underwear on her babies.

Hello all you Orp experts! Can someone aswer this for me.....What would I get if I breed a Lemon Cuckoo to a Lav hen or BBS hen? What bout a Lemon Cuckoo hen to a Lav roo? Thanks! Anybody in the western NC area?

We're having a high of 43 here today with wind and rain. By the weekend we will be in the 80s. We're all hoping for a cooler summer this year! I guess Mother Nature knows when it's time to get rid of the long underwear on her babies.

I'm hoping for a cooler summer too! But I think it's wishful thinking where I am. Sunday we will start hitting our days in the 80's, then I believe it will all be horrible from there on for us.

I sure do hope my girls go through a molt. They looked ragged.

Back
Top Bottom