The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

For those of you breeding GL, I thought I'd share a picture. Max is now 15 months old and is still lacing out. Word of advise..Don't discount them too early because of poor lacing. Go with type and the lacing might continue to improve. Skirt lacing is a special gift in the GL Cock Birds. (It's some kind of bright today. Discount the colors in the picture)

Feather quality has to be bred in a line. It can be affected greatly by a poor diet, or parasites, but strong wide feathers are a must for Orps. Just look at Johnn's birds surviving very well on the moors, in all sorts of weather. They may get the top layer of feathers damp, but they stay dry underneath, and don't loose body heat. Those same wide feathers also keep the Orps cooler as the sun doesn't get to their skin.

In looking at a flock of Orps, you'll generally see one or two females that show much more rooster wear than the rest. I used to think it was because those hens were "easy". Some are, but most often I've found that those tatty looking hens do not have as good feather quality as the decent looking ones. Check your balding hens for feather quality . I think you'll be surprised.

This is an interesting point. In my BBS pens i had three girls I ended up pulling from the pen because of over-wear. The two I pulled about a month ago are growing new feathers back already. The first who I pulled about three months ago hasn't even begun to regrow her feathers. Now I am going to look closer at the rest of her feathers and see. I thought she was the roos favorite but now I am thinking she just has poorer feather quality.

For those of you breeding GL, I thought I'd share a picture. Max is now 15 months old and is still lacing out. Word of advise..Don't discount them too early because of poor lacing. Go with type and the lacing might continue to improve. Skirt lacing is a special gift in the GL Cock Birds. (It's some kind of bright today. Discount the colors in the picture)

wow what short little legs....or a giant skirt!! either way it is adorable!!

Got a few more pic's of my blue pullet. She is almost 6 months..........
It is OK to mention her weak points. I have learned enough here to identify some for myself............

But I never let her know she is anything but perfect..............(
wink.png
)

[COLOR=008080] Got a few more pic's of my blue pullet. She is almost 6 months..........[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]It is OK to mention her weak points. I have learned enough here to identify some for myself............[/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]But I never let her know she is anything but perfect..............([/COLOR] [COLOR=008080]
wink.png
)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=008080] [/COLOR] [COLOR=008080] [/COLOR]
:eek: Had to do a double take to be sure someone wasn't posting a picture of my avatar bird! Your girl looks almost IDENTICAL to Olive when she stands that way. Even has the same look in her eye. Can't see from the pic exactly but Olive does have poor feather quality (doesn't mean yours does) and her lacing almost completely fades out in the summertime. But she looks fantastic right after a molt.

I am fond of the lighter blue...... but the lacing is not pronounced like it is on the dark blues.......
The splash cockerel is a mix. The black is English also but the pic does not do her credit............
The long legs belong to DH who loves to sit in his lawn chair and nap with our oldest hen............need to get a pic of them napping together.

Last edited:
Got a few more pic's of my blue pullet. She is almost 6 months..........
It is OK to mention her weak points. I have learned enough here to identify some for myself............

But I never let her know she is anything but perfect..............(
wink.png
)

I love her shape..that is exactly what i am working towards with my BBS orps...she has decent lacing that could be improved pretty easily but over all I would say she is a very good pullet! Nice round tail and chest, good wing carriage, wonderful full skirt, good shape head, eyes, comb, and wattles and good color that would be excellent if she had darker lacing. IMO

Dang, it doesn't seem like the chicks I sent you should be that old.  Time flies!   
He needs a treat for waiting so patiently...
He knows I have mealworms, and of course he got some. I got two cockerels and three pullets in the group you sent me. They are all very nice looking birds. Ill try and get some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom