The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

So, the big plan was to wait until Spring to order hatching eggs, but my boyfriend told me, "Here's the money. Do it now!" So.... I did!
Anyway.... thought I would share the photos of MY English Orpington babies. lol
I went a little overboard....maybe. I actually have to go buy a third incubator. :p I still have two dozen more coming in I think? Maybe it's one....
Here are my BBS and Jubilee LF English Orps and my Mauve, Chocolate, and Blue and Black Bantam Orps. Aren't they cuuuuute? :D I got them from Blue Rein Poultry. :)
And not English, but I also have Lavender eggs in from HinkJC.
Next year I'm going after Gold Laced, White, and Buff hatching eggs!

So, the big plan was to wait until Spring to order hatching eggs, but my boyfriend told me, "Here's the money. Do it now!" So.... I did!
Anyway.... thought I would share the photos of MY English Orpington babies. lol
I went a little overboard....maybe. I actually have to go buy a third incubator. :p I still have two dozen more coming in I think? Maybe it's one....
Here are my BBS and Jubilee LF English Orps and my Mauve, Chocolate, and Blue and Black Bantam Orps. Aren't they cuuuuute? :D I got them from Blue Rein Poultry. :)
And not English, but I also have Lavender eggs in from HinkJC.
Next year I'm going after Gold Laced, White, and Buff hatching eggs!

Thats a lot of eggs.

I admire you for trying this late, any time I have tried to hatch eggs this time of year it has been an absolute disaster. Hens and cockerels are not as fertile later in the year as they are in march and April in my opinion anyway. I tried late hatches three times in the incy the first time wasn't to bad I got a %40 hatch rate compared to %90 earlier in the year. The next year I tried it again and the hatch was absolutely miserable (2 chicks from 60 eggs). The last year I tried it (2009) I set 100 eggs in early September and got 10 chicks. I won't be trying late hatches like that for a long time. I also think it is hard to keep young stock alive through the winter unless you have good big indoor runs with heat lamps and electic hens. Good luck to you and I hope you have a successful hatch though

lol Yeah, it ended up being more than I pictured in my head somehow???
BUT I have always read about how bad hatch rates were with shipped eggs so I thought I'd better get enough. ...... I think I got enough. lol
your lucky you live in the south..they will do much better than trying to grow them in a yankee winter..its pleasant down there in fall and winter..they will do fine....up here they wind up huddled for months..the older ones handle it well ..but its rough on the little ones..im looking at that incubator thinking..wish i could start some too..but in ny i know better..spring will come around quick ..
smile.png

Winters really vary here.... or at least they seem to a lot the last few years! Last winter was dry but stayed frozen most of the time. The winter before that was 40's and 50's. VERY nice!!! A lot of people on my little Missouri poultry group say they have better hatch rates in winter than the rest of the year (although I'm not sure they're talking about shipped eggs!)! More than likely, I hate to say it but I'm a wimp about winter, so even if they're fully feathered they will probably spend the winter with a heat lamp! Still..... I AM feeling a LITTLE nervous now so maybe I should hunt a little harder for a few more eggs.... just a few! :D
I've been able to candle the very first group that went in-- which was only 1 dozen-- 8 are developing, but they had an awfully rough ride apparently because the air cells aren't looking too good. The next three dozen seemed fine on that problem, and the two dozen settling right now, some are good on that and some are not. Hopefully they'll all reattach, and I can get a few dozen chicks up and running around here!

thats probably true..the summer dreaded heat is a different kind of stressor..they dont eat as well as the cooler weather of a southern winter..the summers up here are a lot cooler..but the winters are a beast

Last edited:
I am looking for some English Orpington Eggs, pullets or laying hens, in either Blue, Splash or black, if any of you have any and would like to share, I would be very happy to talk to you about purchasing.

I presently have a pair of Blue English Orpingtons, and would love to expand my brood.

Thank you,

I am looking for some English Orpington Eggs, pullets or laying hens, in either Blue, Splash or black, if any of you have any and would like to share, I would be very happy to talk to you about purchasing.

I presently have a pair of Blue English Orpingtons, and would love to expand my brood.

Thank you,
Hi,
I do not have anything to sell........Just wanted to say...........
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom