The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Stups are a terrible sign of Cochins being bred through orps, I never breed with birds with stubs as it is really hard to breed out while still keeping the proper colours

Well then you won't want to breed reds or partridge
Well sometimes one needs to use what is available. I hatched many black chicks last year and culled everything with a feather on the leg or between the toes and this year I had less than 1% with one feather or two feathers on the feet. Same with the whites, only had two with leg stubbles. All of them were culled for backyard chicken type breeders. They make good pets/layers.

Last edited:
I have bred partridges for a while with not to much trouble, I live in Ireland so it is not as hard to get birds imported from mainland Europe or England. It only costs me €50 to get a trio of orps imported from the UK or €100 to get a trio from anywhere on Western Europe (France, Belgium, Germany, holland, Austria, Switzerland and northern Italy and Spain) so it is a lot cheaper. Getting birds from England is really easy because there is no major quarantine because all diseases that are in England are here.

Well sometimes one needs to use what is available.   I hatched many black chicks last year and culled everything with a feather on the leg or between the toes and this year I had less than 1% with one feather or two feathers on the feet.   Same with the whites, only had two with leg stubbles.   All of them were culled for backyard chicken type breeders.  They make good pets/layers.
Yes I agree:) and if one wants to breed the red or partridge here in the US I'm betting all they would have to work with is some leg feathered birds. I'm working on it :)

Yes I agree:) and if one wants to breed the red or partridge here in the US I'm betting all they would have to work with is some leg feathered birds. I'm working on it
smile.png
We are going to work on it next year in Reds and Partridges. Keep the chicks with the least leg stubs at hatch, and then do the same in the next generation etc.

I have bred partridges for a while with not to much trouble, I live in Ireland so it is not as hard to get birds imported from mainland Europe or England. It only costs me €50 to get a trio of orps imported from the UK or €100 to get a trio from anywhere on Western Europe (France, Belgium, Germany, holland, Austria, Switzerland and northern Italy and Spain) so it is a lot cheaper. Getting birds from England is really easy because there is no major quarantine because all diseases that are in England are here.
Wish it was that easy for us. Use to be a lot easier but now there is the fear of disease spreading here. There were a lot more import stations in the US in the 1980's but now there appears to be only a few. I am talking about ones that import everything like cage birds and other animals. There is one fellow in California that imports cage birds regularly but seems he is having some difficulties right now since he has very few birds to offer but could be the season also.

We are going to work on it next year in Reds and Partridges. Keep the chicks with the least leg stubs at hatch, and then do the same in the next generation etc.
Yes hatch hatch hatch! My incubator has only been off for 3 months in the past 3 years and that's because I had a human baby and couldn't deal with the hatching lol

Back
Top Bottom