The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I have
I bought the original import partridge orpingtons from greenfire. They have tiny leg feathers. So I'm sure most of the chicks they've been selling the past 2 years have them as well.
Yes the Partridge & Reds from GFF both have some. And it is posted on their website as well as their auctions about them. I've seen some Reds & Partridge from other bloodlines that also have stubs so it's not just the GFF birds. It's not going to stop me from breeding mine- so far it just seems to be the cockerels that have them on mine...

I have 4 GFF Partridge Orps. The females never had any leg feathering. The male did when he was younger, but has since grown out of it. I don't see any more stubs. I have some whites too. Two of the males have stubs and none of the females do. The whites are my largest birds. Heavy and fluffy.

I see that with mine, a lighter eye color. Also varying shades of red and a couple of stubs on the legs.

A few of my chocolates have stubs as well. I know quite a few judges that would disqualify any bird with stubs no matter how nice it is confirmation wise. Is it better to cull birds with stubs from the breeding program or just pluck stubs before showing?

pluck them before showing, thats what most people do, pull them out. up to you if you want top breed them, wouldnt bother me to breed them to birds you know were clean and no stubs on parents.

Isn't that cheating
tongue.png
yes but with a lot of imports you see them..the breeders goal is to breed that out..2 of mine had them..but oddly they fell off when they shed baby feathers..they didnt have any on feet or lower leg, just a couple up high on shank.i cant figure out why they shed them.... but i hear others say same thing...i left them on for record for breeding pen selection ,who had the least..and the clean legged ones ect..but now they are gone.?...

with a cochin and langshan in ancestry not real suprising..but good breeders will keep it in mind and work it out..shame to not show a great bird with 1 microscopic stubb so they yank it..and its not just in orps either..

there are tricks to make them dissappear forever from a bird
wink.png
.but best advise is breed it out..otherwise it will haunt breeding pens forever..they have been bred out in the past..can be done again.thou a balancing act of type , color and stubbs, but its not that hard..

Last edited:
yes but with a lot of imports you see them..the breeders goal is to breed that out..2 of mine had them..but oddly they fell off when they shed baby feathers..they didnt have any on feet or lower leg, just a couple up high on shank.i cant figure out why they shed them.... but i hear others say same thing...i left them on for record for breeding pen selection ,who had the least..and the clean legged ones ect..but now they are gone.?...

with a cochin and langshan in ancestry not real suprising..but good breeders will keep it in mind and work it out..shame to not show a great bird with 1 microscopic stubb so they yank it..and its not just in orps either..

there are tricks to make them dissappear forever from a bird ;) .but best advise is breed it out..otherwise it will haunt breeding pens forever..they have been bred out in the past..can be done  again.thou a balancing act of type , color and stubbs, but its  not that hard..

I agree, I just haven't taken my birds to a show. And honestly, they are not "my birds", when I start breeding then I will think about showing.

Just my opinion :/

there are tricks to make them dissappear forever from a bird ;)

Inquiring minds want to know... I'd understand if it's a trade secret kept in the bosom

Back
Top Bottom