The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I have never seen one before but I would think that they are bread for colour and laying ability. From that picture they are quite Orpington like in shape. With a couple more generations it could start to breed pure and a new colour of orps could come out of it.

I have never seen one before but I would think that they are bread for colour and laying ability. From that picture they are quite Orpington like in shape. With a couple more generations it could start to breed pure and a new colour of orps could come out of it.

it doesn't look like a Orp of any kind to me and I'm a judge, if that makes any difference. This is why the Marans are having so many problems now. Too many projects ended up being blended in by people putting chickens together and then naming the results.

Walt

it doesn't look like a Orp of any kind to me and I'm a judge, if that makes any difference. This is why the Marans are having so many problems now. Too many projects ended up being blended in by people putting chickens together and then naming the results.

Walt

Really, no offence to you. I love your posts, but all chicken breeds and colors are the results of "projects". One of my favorite things about chickens is that you are allowed that creativity.

I have no problem with what people do with their chickens, but I have seen breeds ruined because these projects being sold as true to the breed. The AM's are another breed that was adversely affected by people diluting the breed gene pool. Do what you like I'm just relating what I have seen while doing this for over 50 years.

Thanks Renie, Its been a long hard road to get back started on this but we have finely done it, we got 54 acers for the birds to free range on & they are doing better than ever.

Great to hear Roger! I can only dream of having 54 acres up my way though, too pricey up here :(

Walt
What I object to is calling an obviously cross bred bird an Orp. It is NOT an Orp. It is a mutt chicken, and the novice who owns it now thinks he has a "Sunset Orp". There is no such bird. Why mislead a novice ? This is not being kind to anyone.

I'm with you Walt on the misleading names. Just call it what it is an Orp cross. I have my young
Orp boys with my layer mutts. I guess I could call any chicks I hatch English Black Stars. Sounds fancy.

Identifying it as a cross would help protect the breed,calling it an Orp undermines the breed. Orps had been protected from this in the past, but now there is a market for mistakes. For folks selling chickens what could be better than a market for whatever comes out...but it ultimately ruins the breed.

Walt

Identifying it as a cross would help protect the breed,calling it an Orp undermines the breed. Orps had been protected from this in the past, but now there is a market for mistakes. For folks selling chickens what could be better than a market for whatever comes out...but it ultimately ruins the breed.

Walt

True- I see your point. I think orps are subject lately because of greed. I've seen some sketchy sellers, but it seems like the sketchy buyers mostly buy from them, thinking they are going to make big money off of eggs and chicks. If you are really serious you do your homework. You can find bad examples of every breed, everywhere. I am not an expert like you, but I do know what I like. If a sellers stock is not breed to standard it's obvious, and I'm not interested. I do think that you make a very fair point though... Misrepresenting what you have is wrong, and common....

Just wanted to let everyone know I aint gone, I just been busy with my new job & setting up my pens, The Orps. are comming along great so far but we got along way to go to be back with the amount of stock I had before the move back to AL. The quilty will be the same or better than ever, Good to see everyone is doing good.
Rebel
Roger so nice to see you back. You have been missed.

Back
Top Bottom