The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I took these pictures yesterday, all of the babies in these pictures just turned 6 months, except for the last 2 pictures the pullet is 7 months and the cockerel is 8 months.

The winter rye grass and clover are up enough for the buffs to munch in this paddock today. The babies sure enjoyed it, as did the older girls, including the Brat and the Pest in front.

I alternate paddocks all winter so the Buffs always have greens to enjoy.

Wow! They sure are pretty. I can not let mine run free but they have a big covered run in the wooded area. I would love that but the hawks etc are in abundance next to the National forest in Macon cty.
In addition we have cyotes (a whole pack of them in this cove) fox, raccons, possums skunks you name. Sometimes when a hugh Bobcat comes around I even stay in late evenings. He is a big one, I saw his and the bear tracks in my yard. During the day I am safe and so are my chickens in their runs. At night we both lock up.

Last edited:
Wow! They sure are pretty. I can not let mine run free but they have a big covered run in the wooded area. I would love that but the hawks etc are in abundance next to the National forest in Macon cty.
In addition we have cyotes (a whole pack of them in this cove) fox, raccons, possums skunks you name. Sometimes when a hugh Bobcat comes around I even stay in late evenings. He is a big one, I saw his and the bear tracks in my yard. During the day I am safe and so are my chickens in their runs. At night we both lock up.
I was out with them today, as they were not under my lines. They only had to run 25 feet to be safe. EVERYBODY here is securely locked up at night in chain link, steel roofed runs.We have the same predators.

The winter rye grass and clover are up enough for the buffs to munch in this paddock today. The babies sure enjoyed it, as did the older girls, including the Brat and the Pest in front. I alternate paddocks all winter so the Buffs always have greens to enjoy.
What is that netting or wire you have in addition to the hog panel and what kind of roses are those?

That is challenging having such an array of predators....I'd lock up at night too!

What is that netting or wire you have in addition to the hog panel and what kind of roses are those?
The wire backing up the hog panels is 2 x 2 " green welded wire. Just to keep any babies from sneaking through. The roses are pink 'Knockout ' roses.Still blooming after a hard frost. The white bush blooming in the rear, is a chinese snowball sterile viburnam, ' Viburnam Macrocephalum ".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom