The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Whatever he is doing, I would find it difficult to believe he is putting a Double Barred Rooster on barred hens. As a rule, you just do not get birds like that one. However...stranger things have happened, lol!
when i put a double barred GFF roo over some of my lightest buff hens all of the chicks had some barring

even though the mothers had zero

love.gif

Quote:
I think I just forgot how to spell 'drule'...? druel?...no, deruel? I will settle for WOW! Bang up job. I CAN spell beautiful :). Now that's pure art'work'. Thanks.

Last edited:
@TherryChicken I am so very sorry. Was he alone in his pen, or out when attacked? I know raccoons usually keep killing until all are dead. White chickens are the most subject to predation because of the visual contrast, but mostly to hawks. I just hope you can find a solution. We have been fortunate to only lose one hen to a mink.

I think I just forgot how to spell drule...? druel?...no, deruel? I will settle for WOW!
Bang up job.
I CAN spell beautiful
smile.png
. Now that's pure art'work'.
Thanks.
Thanks, I just replied to your PM :)

when i put a double barred GFF roo over some of my lightest buff hens all of the chicks had some barring

even though the mothers had zero

Which is how it should be.
Sex linked barring (Cuckoo Barring), is carried on the male chromosome. If the Rooster is "Double Barred", meaning he has 2 copies of the barring gene one on each chromosome, then all offspring will have a copy of the barring gene from him and should show at least some barring. The barring is usually easily noticed at a young age. If bred to a barred hen, all male offspring will have 2 copies of the barring gene(Double Barred).
The barring gene has a "dosage" effect, meaning that 2 copies will have a stronger barring than 1. Hens, only having the capability of carrying 1 barring gene sometimes can look a bit "muttled" in the lighter colors such as buff and lighter colored lavenders.
Buff birds carry a few "Inhibitors", some "modifiers" and some "restrictors" . Such as Co, Ig, Mo, Cha, Choc,Rw...etc
Some of the barred birds mixed with the non barred birds to make a Cuckoo of a new color may or may not have some of these genes.
There are many paths you can follow to get to LCO, and depending on the path taken to get the original birds and finally to the LCO it is possible that some other genes, most likely some recessive or Incompletely Dominant, did not get culled out and occasionally pop up.

In the making of new varieties the breeder must be knowledgeable and diligent in his practices. "Test breeding's" should be done to check for unwanted genes and birds culled that carry them. With recessives and incomplete dominants, especially in birds with a heavy count of restrictors, modfiers or inhibitors, this can take many many breedings and generations. It is these diligent practices that create birds that reproduce predictably good offspring. (There is a word for that, I keep forgetting it!) A project is not "done" until you have parent stock that make babies that look like them!

My opinion of GFF is that they carry good "finished" stock, I don't know where they get them from, but all the birds I have seen from them are generally good birds. And for the prices they charge, they should be! LOL
Not all the LCO's out there being sold are the quality of GFF, I have seen "LCO's" that were only 2 generations removed from a Barred Rock Rooster( And they were really good looking BIrds!!)....The Rooster did not look like he was even pure Barred Rock...so who knows what will pop up int those "LCO's" !!

Clear as Mud?? LOL

Whatever he is doing, I would find it difficult to believe he is putting a Double Barred Rooster on barred hens. As a rule, you just do not get birds like that one. However...stranger things have happened, lol!

So as it happens my chick is from barred hens and a double barred roo. So we have a little mystery chick! :) it will be interesting to see how this bird develops since he is a little feathered oddity. There are obvious color variations on the individual feathers but nothing that looks like barring yet. It will be fun to see what comes. Maybe he is a she and the barring is just muddied. Time will tell. It's a shame I'm so impatient!!

In the making of new varieties the breeder must be knowledgeable and diligent in his practices. "Test breeding's" should be done to check for unwanted genes and birds culled that carry them. With recessives and incomplete dominants, especially in birds with a heavy count of restrictors, modfiers or inhibitors, this can take many many breedings and generations. It is these diligent practices that create birds that reproduce predictably good offspring.  (There is a word for that, I keep forgetting it!) A project is not "done" until you have parent stock that make babies that look like them!

My opinion of GFF is that they carry good "finished" stock, I don't know where they get them from, but all the birds I have seen from them are generally good birds. And for the prices they charge, they should be! LOL
Not all the LCO's  out there being sold are the quality of GFF, I have seen "LCO's" that were only 2 generations removed from a Barred Rock Rooster( And they were really good looking BIrds!!)....The Rooster did not look like he was even pure Barred Rock...so who knows what will pop up int those "LCO's" !!

Clear as Mud?? LOL

Were you thinking of the phrase "breeds true"?
It is one thing to start with perfect stock that breeds true. It's got to be fun to get nearly perfect birds and to have a light hand in culling and beauty queens with ease.
But more than half the fun is in creating and peefecting those true breeding birds from other birds. The project in and of itself is most of the fun, I would think. It is also time consuming and super expensive. But aren't all the good hobbies like that anyway? That's why I try to convince myself! Haha!

Sometimes I think I ought to just buy absolutely perfected stock and so have all the hard work done for me. But buying good quality stock and perfecting them myself sounds like so much more fun. And years later you reap the benefits, right?
Not that I'm brave enough to buy poor quality stock and make gems from them. Though it can be done! I will stick with my happy medium. Good birds with room to work.

Last edited:
... of course I'm just starting out and have so so much to learn still. I could be singing a different tune in a couple years! ;-)
But I've enjoyed doing just this with my dogs for the past 7 years. And to think... 7 years later I still haven't established a solid line with my dogs! I think I have another 6 years to go before I'm happy there!! :)

Back
Top Bottom