The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Congrats Bryce on your project chocolate laced orps!!!! I was following that auction out of curiosity and was blown away with their final selling price!

Just curious, why did you choose to use a silver laced bird over the chocolate laced hen? Do the current silver laced orps carry the diluting gene? Why would one not prefer to use a black laced gold over chocolates to begin the cross and then refine lacing from there? (Forgive my ignorance)
Thanks, I appreciate it :)
Well, one reason I chose the Silver Laced is that I raise Silver Laced and had some extra roosters. I don't raise Gold Lace so that would've meant buying one from someone else and I run a semi-closed flock. I can count on one hand the people I've bought from since I first started raising chickens. The Silver Laced rooster is a good choice as well because the male offspring that is produced will be gold lace split to chocolate. Breed those back to a Gold Lace Choc hen and you're producing a percentage GLC offspring :)

The winner actually won a juvenile pair of Gold Lace Chocolates last year (a pure male and female) so I am sure we are going to be seeing some very nice gold lace chocolates for sale soon :)

Snowing in lugoff southCarolina . Didn't think my chickens would come out of the houses, but they are out in their yard pecking at the snow. Most of them are were hatched last spring/summer. They don't seem to be bothered at all by the snow.

Well I think everyone thought I was gone but Im back,I think I finely got everything put behind me & finely got setteled in in my new home here in the great state of Alabama, hope everyone is doing well, alot of new folks on here I see.

Nice to have you back!!
cheer.gif
Congratulations on getting into your new place.

Thanks for the answer Bryce... BUT... I must not understand the gold laced vs silver laced gene. I thought that was carried as the S/s+ sex linked allelle. If so, and silver is dominant over gold... why wouldn't wouldn't the offspring all be silver laced chocolate, with half the roosters carrying the gold laced gene?

Has anyone crossed the silver laced orps with gold laced orps? If so, what did the offspring produce? Diluted silver laced roos and either pure gold or silver laced hens (when a silver laced roo is crossed over a gold laced hen)

Maybe Jeremy could help me out as well... he's pretty good with color genetics.

Thanks for the answer Bryce... BUT... I must not understand the gold laced vs silver laced gene. I thought that was carried as the S/s+ sex linked allelle. If so, and silver is dominant over gold... why wouldn't wouldn't the offspring all be silver laced chocolate, with half the roosters carrying the gold laced gene?

Has anyone crossed the silver laced orps with gold laced orps? If so, what did the offspring produce? Diluted silver laced roos and either pure gold or silver laced hens (when a silver laced roo is crossed over a gold laced hen)

Maybe Jeremy could help me out as well... he's pretty good with color genetics.

I have some information on the Silver Laced over Gold Laced on my site that might help. http://thefancychick.com/SilverLacedOrpington.html I was just curious how the silver laced could produce gold laced chocolate ?
idunno.gif
I must have missed something?

Nellie, you did miss something.
I never said that pairing would produce gold lace chocolate offspring the first generation. It's a project. The pairing will produce males that are gold lace Split to chocolate. When that male is bred back to a solid Gold Lace Choc hen, a percentage of offspring (both male and female) will be gold lace chocolate.

I sold a pure pair of gold lace chocolates last year and it just so happens their winner also won the birds I sold a few days ago. So the buyer probably won't be using the silver laced anyway but will use a pure GLC male over GLC females

Last edited:
Yes. Now he looks like a big boy, LOL!

I wonder why they're not laying? Maybe you got caught in some kind of winter delay?

Is there a chance they are laying and you have a pest or an egg eater taking eggs before you can collect them?
I had a splash roo who I thought was just sun damaged and had this kind of leakage. Turns out the chkicks I hatched from his pen also had sun damage... but had never been in the sun or dirt so it was obviously leakage and I wasted a lot of feed and time hatching and raising chicks that I had to cull...

Nellie, you did miss something.
I never said that pairing would produce gold lace chocolate offspring the first generation. It's a project. The pairing will produce males that are gold lace Split to chocolate. When that male is bred back to a solid Gold Lace Choc hen, a percentage of offspring (both male and female) will be gold lace chocolate.

I sold a pure pair of gold lace chocolates last year and it just so happens their winner also won the birds I sold a few days ago. So the buyer probably won't be using the silver laced anyway but will use a pure GLC male over GLC females

What I am not understanding, though, is where the Gold Laced gene came from? Because I wouldn't think that Silver Laced over Chocolate could produce Gold Laced (gold laced chocolate) unless either the Silver Laced or Chocolate carried the gold gene and neither does as far as I know. I would think that the Chocolate would just take the place of the silver and you would have chocolate laced (minus a gold gene)? Is that not how it works?

If you are asking how I created my original gold lace chocolates, I am not sure I want to divulge that information on a public forum. If the new owner wants to discuss this subject, he can. But since I don't own the project anymore I wouldn't feel comfortable telling everyone else how to produce something I no longer own/breed.

Back
Top Bottom