The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Hi all. I was really excited to be joining this thread as I just got my very first english orpingtons, or at least I hope. I got them off of RBA and they are supposed to be sourced from ultimate orpingtons. The auction was for 1 cockerel and 3 Pullets and I asked what he thought the hatch date was and I was told " These chicks were hatched about the 22nd of April, as far as I can tell." I was under the impression these chicks would be the same age which they are clearly not. Also it looks to me like its 2 cockerels and the others may be pullets but are younger. They were listed as creole orpingtons.

My first question is creole and crele orpingtons are one in the same right?
My second question is are crele / creole orpingtons auto sexing?
If they are auto sexing what sexes does it look like I have?
Also how old does the younger chicks look? I'm thinking the youngest looks 1 week and the other about 2. The older 2 I'm guessing we're probably april 22nd
Do these even look like crele orpington chicks?
If these are not what was advertised on RBA what do you think I should do?
Does anyone see a side sprig on the last one?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

cutipatooti...

Let me throw in a disclaimer before my comments... I do NOT have creles, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

Your birds look like 3 regular cuckoos (2 males, 1 female), and the smaller chick is possibly a crele. But there is such coloration variation with the creles, that the older 3 chicks could be purebred creles and are just going to be very light without any of the beautiful red coloration as adults that is most desirable.

The youngest chick is probably a crele, but impossible to sex at such a young age (unless it was vent sexed after hatching).

Too early to comment on the start of a side sprig in the last chick (prob a roo).

I suspect you won't be happy with those birds as they age... been there, done that. Pinch a penny here and there for cheap chicks, and all you end up doing is spending a small fortune in time and money raising them, only to have to cull them when you realize they just aren't up to snuff. It took me 2 years to finally get a group of birds I'm happy with, and out of the 150 chicks I've hatched out so far this year, I'll probably only keep 1 out of 15 and cull the rest.

Heck, even if you buy chicks from the very best parentages, you'll still end up with more culls than keepers :(

Oh, always insist on photos of the parents before buying. If the seller is sketchy about providing pics of the parents, just move along, no matter how good the deal seems. There's TOO MUCH junk up for sale, as everyone is trying to make a quick buck of English orps, and the quality of the breed is suffering badly because of it. Another pet peeve... way too many random 'projects' being sold out there that are nothing but mutts... I've been seeing 'pumpkin', 'sunshine',, etc etc etc on ebay, rarebreed, and the others. Sorry to rant, but if we don't start taking more care of what is populating and being distributed, there just won't be any decent birds left a couple generations down the road.

Megalomaniac I agree with you on what your saying. I know I took a gamble on these being I did not get them from the breeder direct. They are supposed to be from ultimate orpingtons which I am under the impression have nice birds and I do like the look and color of the crele that is advertised on the website. I contacted the seller to let them know that it looks like I have 2 boys and that I am dissapointed in my purchase and feel misled. They assured me it was not their intention and have contacted ultimate orpingtons, and I was further told to contact ultimate orpingtons as they are willing to work with me to correct the situation.

cutipatooti...

Let me throw in a disclaimer before my comments... I do NOT have creles, so take my opinion with a grain of salt....

Your birds look like 3 regular cuckoos (2 males, 1 female), and the smaller chick is possibly a crele.

I agree! That was my immediate impression!

I suspect you won't be happy with those birds as they age... been there, done that. Pinch a penny here and there for cheap chicks, and all you end up doing is spending a small fortune in time and money raising them, only to have to cull them when you realize they just aren't up to snuff. It took me 2 years to finally get a group of birds I'm happy with, and out of the 150 chicks I've hatched out so far this year, I'll probably only keep 1 out of 15 and cull the rest.

Heck, even if you buy chicks from the very best parentages, you'll still end up with more culls than keepers :(

And this is where I arrived this year. Just not worth it. I won't buy eggs unless I can pick them up. I will buy chicks and only from a breeder I can trust. It's expensive getting good birds! But worth it. Also, I decided never to buy just a few chicks, as culling is always important. You need too many in your genetic pool to descern what you really have!

Oh, always insist on photos of the parents before buying. If the seller is sketchy about providing pics of the parents, just move along, no matter how good the deal seems. There's TOO MUCH junk up for sale, as everyone is trying to make a quick buck of English orps, and the quality of the breed is suffering badly because of it. Another pet peeve... way too many random 'projects' being sold out there that are nothing but mutts... I've been seeing 'pumpkin', 'sunshine',, etc etc etc on ebay, rarebreed, and the others. Sorry to rant, but if we don't start taking more care of what is populating and being distributed, there just won't be any decent birds left a couple generations down the road.

I bought some project eggs this year hopeful. NOPE. Never again. I need to see the parents. I need to know the person and their program. I would rather just project out on my own unless I am really working with someone.

My sweet, beautiful, not so very bright Reba (Jubilee Orpington) has gone broody for the first time. I am a newbie so have no experience with this. It's quite a coincidence that I happen to have 31 purebred BBS Ameraucana eggs and Dominique eggs incubating at the same time.

But as she is actually sitting on nothing in the corner of the coop next to the hatch door and the coop is built above the run, I'm not confident she'd be a good Mom and keep the chicks from falling through our hatch door. (It doesn't close.)

We've been taking her out of the coop continuously since yesterday and locking her our in the afternoon when everyone's done laying eggs.

She doesn't seem to be giving up bit she's not aggressive at all. I don't have the setup for a broody buster and I'm considering just giving her a couple if fertile eggs to see what happens if she's still like this tomorrow.

I may just take the chicks away from her after the first day. Does that upset her? How do you all feel about Jubilee's mothering skills? Anyone have any experience with them hatching their own?!!

Also, as they are on the 2nd floor and I don't have a 2nd run on the ground to move her too.

Lots of questions. I guess I hoped I'd not deal with this for another year or so.

Back
Top Bottom