The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

S
someone may have bred English into then at some point and then bred back to the American standard. I've seen that done to improve the fluff.

Thank you for your patience with me. Now after looking at the chicks again, they seem to look more alike. Maybe it was the wet look of some, but it's still nice to get confirmation that mine are American.

My apologies to all the English folks for clogging up the thread :D

Thank you for your patience with me. Now after looking at the chicks again, they seem to look more alike. Maybe it was the wet look of some, but it's still nice to get confirmation that mine are American.

My apologies to all the English folks for clogging up the thread :D
no problems. We still love to see fat fluffy orps!

New here.. and pretty sure these 2 aren't imported, but I love them. I've owned many breeds and never liked the Orps..think for some reason the buffs from hatcheries always made me class them with hatchery production birds and that just wasn't what I wanted. However, last summer I found these as babies nearby and added a lavender cuckoo(bantam). So now I have the pair of LF mottled and the lone hen.And I can't describe how much I love them now. They are so sweet, always want to be near me, both girls lay just as good as my other breeds and they are way prettier to look at!! I've been debating on crossing my lav with the mottled just for fun, but no clue what they'd produce and the size difference did worry me but he's very sweet and the lav girl has been free ranging and has her choice of boys and she always goes back to the mottled pair (they are their own "flock" consisting of the 2 mottled, 1 lav, 1 drake welsh duck and 2 male guineas). Any advice to a newbie Orp lover?

my boy

my gal
(No current good pic of the lav)

New here.. and pretty sure these 2 aren't imported, but I love them. I've owned many breeds and never liked the Orps..think for some reason the buffs from hatcheries always made me class them with hatchery production birds and that just wasn't what I wanted. However, last summer I found these as babies nearby and added a lavender cuckoo(bantam). So now I have the pair of LF mottled and the lone hen.And I can't describe how much I love them now. They are so sweet, always want to be near me, both girls lay just as good as my other breeds and they are way prettier to look at!! I've been debating on crossing my lav with the mottled just for fun, but no clue what they'd produce and the size difference did worry me but he's very sweet and the lav girl has been free ranging and has her choice of boys and she always goes back to the mottled pair (they are their own "flock" consisting of the 2 mottled, 1 lav, 1 drake welsh duck and 2 male guineas). Any advice to a newbie Orp lover?

my boy

my gal
(No current good pic of the lav)
those are english, so yes they are imported :D

those are english, so yes they are imported :D

That totally shows my newbie status..lol.. they are so sweet. I have total strangers stop to ask "if I'll sell the pretty ones that look like they're wearing dresses"..Here is my lavender gal.. when taking pics, I realized she's not much smaller at all than the mottled girl, so she may be LF?? Bought her as bantam but now wondering...

she has the ratty lav tail..

2 hens together

That totally shows my newbie status..lol.. they are so sweet. I have total strangers stop to ask "if I'll sell the pretty ones that look like they're wearing dresses"..Here is my lavender gal.. when taking pics, I realized she's not much smaller at all than the mottled girl, so she may be LF?? Bought her as bantam but now wondering...

she has the ratty lav tail..

2 hens together
she may be large fowl. Weigh her, bantams should not exceed 3lbs. Large fowl typically weigh 8lbs for hens and cocks weigh 12+ lbs. My chocolate cuckoo boy posted yesterday is 15lbs as an adult. His son, who is a cockerel hatched late last year is around 12lbs right now

Your cockerel will become super fluffy into his 2 year old year. The English have extremely long and soft feathers.

Last edited:
The 2 mottled are right at about the 1 year mark..maybe 11 months or 13, but very close. The lavender is about 9 months. Both girls have just started laying within the past month (those were eggs I did happy dances around d the farm over). I'd say she's definitely LF if bantam limit is 3# bc she's closer to 5-6 already. That definitely eases my mind about letting her run with that flock( thank you so very much for that ♡).. now just to see what crazy color that pairing will throw. If I read correctly, the first cross will not show any lavender but if I cross those babies to each other the lavender will begin to show? I'm still going to have to find more lavender bc I know I can't really start with just 3 birds but it'll be a fun experiment ♡

The 2 mottled are right at about the 1 year mark..maybe 11 months or 13, but very close. The lavender is about 9 months. Both girls have just started laying within the past month (those were eggs I did happy dances around d the farm over). I'd say she's definitely LF if bantam limit is 3# bc she's closer to 5-6 already. That definitely eases my mind about letting her run with that flock( thank you so very much for that ♡).. now just to see what crazy color that pairing will throw. If I read correctly, the first cross will not show any lavender but if I cross those babies to each other the lavender will begin to show? I'm still going to have to find more lavender bc I know I can't really start with just 3 birds but it'll be a fun experiment ♡
lavender to black mottled will throw all black chicks. They will be split for mottled and lavender. Breed them together for lavender, lavender mottled, black, and black mottled. Of course those 2nd generation chicks that are lavender could or could not carry mottled and with black but they could or could not carry lavender and mottled.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom