The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Around me, the market is very different. People only want females. They don't care about the genetics, breeding potential, or even flaws. A "mossy" SLO may sell just as easily as a nice crisp SLO. In fact people want to be able to identify their pet chickens easily, so any distinguishing factor - like smudgy/mossy lacing, recessive white, or horrible gold leakage - may even make that chick even more desirable. A trained, stunning, well-bred, award-winning rooster won't even get $5. At best, I may be able to give him away.

I haven't had any gold leakage in my lav/blacks for 2.5 years. One of my blue-lav mixes with my SLO gave a horribly ugly chick. (It taught me why people DON'T mix misc colored orps together. LOL) She had value as a layer only IMO. However, she was quickly sold for her 'unique' appearance.
IMG_3110 (2).JPG

I tend to get more blues from Jewel - even though the chance is 50/50. But with only one hen, we only get 1-2 blue chicks per hatch. Those always sell to the very 1st person who comes to buy chicks.

Now that my SLOs are laying, my lav hens have stopped. :barnie I just can't keep up with chick demand. I know 2 are broody, but not sure what's up with the other 2. Since they're not laying now, I'm deworming and dusting the main coop to see if helps. The SLOs and bantams are fine, but they're separated.

Anyone have any photos of the SLO around 12 weeks....this one is 12 weeks old and in person the comb is more pink and it’s just not nearly as big as my other roosters that were hatched at the same time (which are mixed breeds and a speckled Sussex). I guess I’m really trying to hold out on a possibility of him being a hen still lol
0D87C54D-3009-4BF5-8829-A234D8E52316.jpeg
EC87372E-C9CC-4E1D-837C-C05A52EFAFB3.jpeg

Anyone have any photos of the SLO around 12 weeks....this one is 12 weeks old and in person the comb is more pink and it’s just not nearly as big as my other roosters that were hatched at the same time (which are mixed breeds and a speckled Sussex). I guess I’m really trying to hold out on a possibility of him being a hen still lol
View attachment 2228661View attachment 2228660

I'm Sorry. He looks male to me. My SLOs have pretty small combs compared to my lavenders & blacks.

Here's one of my pairs at 12 weeks. The females have less color and very tiny comb/wattles.
IMG_4257 (2).JPG

View attachment 2228661View attachment 2228660
I also concur with @Faraday40. Its a little boy. But I guarantee if you keep him he will be the sweetest chicken in your flock. My SLO's are.😉

@sunnie7
The good news is that Orp roosters are very gentle giants. Many of my laced act more like puppies than roosters.

They are safe around kids and other animals. (Unless you get a very rare bad apple.) Here's a pic from yesterday. Look at my poor roo! He follows them around (mostly begging for treats) and then gets scooped up and carried around like a doll. He even tolerates when the little kids play dress up with him.
IMG_4360 copy.jpg

@sunnie7
The good news is that Orp roosters are very gentle giants. Many of my laced act more like puppies than roosters.

They are safe around kids and other animals. (Unless you get a very rare bad apple.) Here's a pic from yesterday. Look at my poor roo! He follows them around (mostly begging for treats) and then gets scooped up and carried around like a doll. He even tolerates when the little kids play dress up with him.
View attachment 2228710
Awesome pic!!! Thanks for sharing!! We have “Luke” combs that’s our first rooster and he’s a 16 week old Speckled Sussex and so far we are planning on keeping him and what I’m pretty sure is a EE mix rooster but now I’m going to have to rethink things and I guess just see how they all behave. I have 14-15 hens (hopefully no more prove to be roosters) so I think 2 roosters will be okay but 3 might be pushing it!

Awesome pic!!! Thanks for sharing!! We have “Luke” combs that’s our first rooster and he’s a 16 week old Speckled Sussex and so far we are planning on keeping him and what I’m pretty sure is a EE mix rooster but now I’m going to have to rethink things and I guess just see how they all behave. I have 14-15 hens (hopefully no more prove to be roosters) so I think 2 roosters will be okay but 3 might be pushing it!
If they are all growing up well together all 3 may get along. Two would be a better ratio in order to protect your hens.

My 1st SLOs of 2020 hatched!
:jumpy:wee

One yesterday, 2 more overnight, and last egg is pipped. I couldn't wait and put the 3 with Jewel. (She's been sitting on infertile eggs for 5 weeks! She looks so miserable in this heat) Jewel is a big clumsy girl and has had issues with chicks hatching. Once hatched, she's fine.

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4419 (2).JPG

I also have 3 more SLO eggs due to hatch on the 16th. (Fertility is low, so I'm setting as many eggs as possible.) Those chicks will go to my son's serama.

Back
Top Bottom